What is Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery?
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery is required to treat and correct a range of diseases affecting mouth, face, neck and jaws. The specialty caters to patients who experience problems of wisdom teeth, facial pain, misaligned jaws, accident victims suffering from facial injuries, patients with tumors, cysts, those with developmental craniofacial abnormalities of the jaws or those seeking reconstructive and dental implant surgery. The aesthetic correction of maxillofacial area is also performed by a maxillofacial surgeon.
What does the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery include:
- The impacted wisdom tooth is removed by this surgery.
- Some orthodontic related treatments are performed under this speciality.
- The absent teeth can be replaced by dental implants.
- To support teeth and bridges – bone grafting is done under this procedure.
- The jaw surgery is one of the main procedures performed under this speciality.
- The disproportion forehead and upper face are corrected by this surgery i.e. by craniofacial surgery.
- The fractures of facial skeleton are performed under this.
- The tumors or cysts in the jaw and facial region are removed under this procedure.
- Restructuring of the nose is done by a maxillofacial surgeon – Rhinoplasty.
- Restructuring of the chin is also done by a maxillofacial surgeon – Genioplasty.
- The facelifts, eyelid and brow surgery.
- The temporomandibular joint surgery.
- The cleft lip and palate is corrected by primary and secondary surgery under this.
- Any other congenital facial deformity.
- The benign and malignant lesions of the salivary glands are managed under this speciality.
The procedures performed under Oral and Maxillofacial surgery are numerous. The speciality has expanded over the last decade and cover more problems related to oral and maxillofacial problems now. Right from your minor impacted tooth problem to the major head or neck surgery.
The key here is to choose a good Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon. An experienced Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon can help you with right guidance and treatment. Else, chances are you might end up getting multiple surgeries done. Now-a-days, many hospitals – both private and government- has a specialised team of oral and maxillofacial surgeons to provide world class treatment and satisfactory results.
To find the best Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeron or ask a question, drop in a question to – https://www.lybrate.com/questions/ask