Obesity is a condition characterised by accumulation of excess body fat that leads to various health complications. A person is considered to be obese when their body mass index (BMI) is equal to or greater than 30.
Causes of Obesity-
Obesity in children has the potential to cause major health complications.
The causes of obesity in children are-
1. Lack of Physical Activity: Lack of physical activity such as sports and games may lead to obesity in children.
2. Poor Diet: Following a diet on a regular basis that mainly comprises of junk food, can make a child obese.
3. Role of Genetics: Genetics play a role in obesity as well as specific genes may make a child more susceptible to obesity.
Major Health Complications-
Here are major health complications which may result from obesity-
1. Liver Disorders: Deposits of fat may lead to complications in the liver.
2. Respiratory Disorders: Obesity in children may also result in breathing complications in children.
3. Type-2 Diabetes: Obesity may lead to Type-2 diabetes in children.
4. Sleep Apnea: Sleep Apnea may result from obesity which leads to breathing problems during sleep.
5. Eating Disorders: Obesity in children may result in eating disorders such as binge eating or anorexia.
6. Heart Disease: Obese children are more prone to various heart diseases and orthopaedic diseases than obese adults.
How to Prevent Obesity in Children?
1. Your child should follow a proper diet that consists of vegetables and fruits and restrict junk food.
2. Your child needs to be physically active and participate in sports to prevent obesity.