Erectile dysfunction is a serious problem which is characterized by the inability to achieve and maintain a firm enough erection, required for unhindered sexual intercourse. It is a disorder, the incidence and the severity of which increase with age. Erectile dysfunction is treated as a social taboo by most people who consider it to be a sign of lowly masculinity. However, it is only a condition that might be caused due to a number of reasons and it is certainly curable.
Some of the common symptoms a patient suffering from Erectile Dysfunction are:
- Difficulty in achieving an erection.
- Inability to perform in bed as the person ejaculates way before orgasm and is not able to maintain the erection.
Causes of erectile dysfunction usually include:
- Performance Anxiety
- Relationship Issues
- Consumption of Alcohol
- Enlarged Prostate Gland
Standard treatment for Erectile Dysfunction includes:
1. Lifestyle Changes:
- Exercising regularly
- Stop Smoking
- Try and lose weight as weight is often the main reason behind this disorder
- Reduce or completely stop alcohol consumption
2. Non-drug treatments: These include
- Penile Vacuum Pumps: They are used right before intercourse so that the blood is pulled into the penis. However, this often causes bruising.
- Penile Implants: Implants are inserted into the penis by surgery and can be inflated when needed.
- Blood Vessel Surgery: This is recommended when ED is caused due to leaking vessels.
3. Treatments involving Drugs:
- Medicines like Cialis, Viagra or Levitra aid in increasing blood flow to the penis. However, they cause a number of side effects which include headaches, nasal congestion, dizziness, facial flushing, etc.
- Erection-inducing injections and Testosterone replacements can be used but they have side effects with include acne, scarring, aching in penis, increased urination, breast enlargement, etc.
4. Natural Remedies: These include Panax Ginseng, Rhodiola Rosea, DHEA (Dehydroepiandrosterone), L-Arginine and Acupuncture.