Although it does not have any direct link, it is observed that patients suffering from hypertension or high blood pressure have significant problems attaining overall sexual satisfaction.
Connection between blood pressure and sex-
An increase in blood pressure can occur with any kind of activity, depending on intensity jogging, playing hockey and sex.
If your blood pressure is normal, that’s fine. But if you have uncontrolled hypertension you need to be careful, especially if you have been physically inactive for some time then suddenly regain sexual function from medications like Viagra or Cialis. In that case, the increase in blood pressure could put you at higher risk for progression of cardiovascular disease. Talk to your doctor before using these drugs to ensure you’re fit enough to engage in sexual activity.
The Affect of High Blood Pressure on Sex Life-
Hypertension is a known risk factor for inducing erectile dysfunction. High blood pressure that is not properly controlled is going to weaken your body’s ability to increase blood flow when needed, making it more difficult for you to generate an erection.
- In males, a layer of the blood vessels is severely damaged by high blood pressure in the long run. Thereby, the arteries narrow down resulting in a limited blood flow. As a result of this, there is a considerably less amount of blood flow in the penis. This might lead to instances of erectile dysfunctions. High blood pressure also reduces sexual desires. The problems might also occur as a side effect of the intake of medications for high blood pressure such as Diuretics, Propranolol etc.
- In women, high blood pressure might affect their sex life by limiting their blood flow to the vagina resulting in the vaginal dryness, difficulty in attaining orgasms and decreased sexual desires.
For both the sexes, it is recommended to check up with your doctor as soon as you experience the above mentioned problems.
- With your doctor’s recommendation, you can use medicines such as Vardenafil and Sildenafil Citrate for issues related to erectile dysfunction. According to the doctors, it is generally safe to combine these medicines with medications of high blood pressure.
- Normal blood pressure can be maintained by a healthy and fit lifestyle, which might enhance your sexual appetite. You should maintain a healthy dietary habit with no fast foods, limited alcohol and tobacco consumption along with regular exercises for shedding the extra flabs.
- A key to a healthy relationship is honesty and you should be honest with your partner about the problems which you might be facing. Being honest and candid about any issue will make you feel relaxed and in the process, reduce unnecessary tension; thus increasing the possibility of a better sex life.