Cystic acne is a type of acne that leads to pimples which are painful. This type of acne usually leads to nodules and large inflamed cysts on the skin; they usually appear in the back, face and the buttocks. It begins like normal acne wherein bacteria and oil accumulate in the pores of your skin, resulting in infection.
- They look like swollen, red bumps on your face. These pimples live underneath the skin’s surface – they don’t form whiteheads or blackheads, so they’re difficult to pop.
- They require special care. Cystic acne can leave scars if left untreated – or if they are treated incorrectly (for example, if you push the infection even further below the skin’s surface by trying to squeeze it).
- They hurt because they are inflamed. The swelling stimulates adjacent nerve fibers and triggers pain.
How To Treat Them?
There are a number of treatments that you may use to treat cystic acne, them being:
- Multivitamins: Talk to your doctor about taking a daily multivitamin. The zinc in the vitamin reduces skin inflammation while vitamin E can help heal your skin.
- Spot Treatment: Apply a warm compress for five minutes three times a day to bring the pimple to a head. Dab on acne gel or cream twice a day to dry it up.
- Cortisone Shot: If you get one right before a big event, like prom or homecoming, and ice and spot treatments aren’t helping, don’t panic. See your doctor to have him inject the pimple with cortisone, a steroid that reduces inflammation under the skin and shrinks swelling around the infection. Within six hours the pimple should be gone.
- Don’t pick. Picking the acne, not only can make them worse, but it can also lead to permanent scarring.
Some Home Remedies:
- Keep your skin clean: Acne generally occurs when the skin is oily which results in accumulation of bacteria in the pores. Cleanse your skin with a mild cleanser in order to prevent bacteria buildup, this helps to keep your skin oil free. Use medicated wipes to wipe your skin in order to prevent it from getting oily.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar helps in balancing the pH level of the skin and it also acts as a natural antibiotic. It helps in killing bacteria that cause acne and also tones your skin.
- Diet: Diet plays an important role in the health of your skin. Avoid dairy and junk foods as they can aggravate acne. Avoid sugar based foods and consume plenty of vegetables and fruits to keep your skin healthy.
- Lemon: Applying lemon juice on the skin helps in reducing acne as it prevents oiliness of the skin. It helps in getting rid of acne marks because of its bleaching properties. Lemon contains citric acid that maintains the normal pH level of the skin.