By Dr Priyanka Srivastava , Psychology
- Talk it out with your partner- The best way to deal with growing resentment in a relationship is to discuss it with your partner. Discussions need not be started or carried on in a harsh tone or with an aim to arrive at a solution. They should be conversational in order to leave room for dialogue for the other person. Talking things out matters as you get to convey the reason behind your depression to the other intrinsic part of the relationship and vice- versa.
- Have a world of your own- Depression in a relationship could also result from a persistent feeling of routine. Many times, a person is so hung up on the lover that he or she fails to concentrate on his or her own interests or career. This not only leads to deep- seated frustration in you but also makes your lover take you for granted or treat you with less respect. Therefore, it is extremely important to have a world of your own.
- Take counseling sessions together- If the problem of a strained relationship continues to mar your mental peace; instead of obsessing over it, you and your partner should opt for sessions with a counselor. A third person point of view can be very helpful in dire times.
- Try to get to the crux of fights- A small memory game can aid you in countering depression. Instead of feeling dejected about your love life that is evidently not working, it is better to sit down and trace back the root of bitter fights. This way you will be able to identify what’s bothering you and can focus to eliminate the cause.
- Plan dates and spend quality time with your partner- If you have been facing relationship problems for quite some time now and find it difficult to feel happy or to let go off your partner, you probably should start afresh. Take out time to go on dates with your loved one or try to make great memories with each other.