By Dr Prashant K Vaidya , Homeopathy
As we get older we become more prone to experiencing leg cramps, although, leg cramps can happen at any age i.e. in youngsters, due to some heavy work out or when playing games. Most muscle cramps develop in the leg muscles; particularly in the calf.
The natural Homeopathic remedies for muscle pain not only provide relief, but also strike at the root of the problem and cure muscle pain effectively. They are also completely safe with no side effects.
Leg cramps are a common and usually harmless condition where the muscles in your leg suddenly become tight and painful that comes on suddenly and lasts from a few seconds to several minutes. In most cases, these types of cramps occur while the individual is sleeping or resting.
Leg cramps often result from:
- Vigorous exercise,
- Trauma to the muscle,
- Keeping the leg in an awkward position for too long.
Other causes can include:
1. Medications such as birth control,
2. Diuretics (which are often prescribed for people with high blood pressure),
4. Lack of potassium & calcium,
5. Cold weather.
Additional causes may occur due to arthritis, injury, infection, growth pains and sometimes cramps might be related to alcoholism, hypothyroidism, or diabetes. Hence, treatment of leg cramps with Homeopathy can be the best cure without any side effects.
Role of Homeopathy:
Choice of medicines depends on location of the cramp coupled with other symptoms.
In many cases, the cramps disappears just with one dose of the medicine but recurring cramps call for regular use of medicine for sometime along with some changes in the diet.
Treatment is given basis different factors of the leg cramp such as:
- Pain with inflammation which is aggravated by movement and relieved by moderate medicine and rest.
- Pain getting worse by motion, touch.
- Arthritic swelling, knee pain, effusion of knee joint, which gets worse by cold.
- Remedy for rheumatoid arthritis, knee contracted, has outstanding action over nerve pain.
- Rheumatic pain along with swelling, Sciatica of right leg.
- Sciatica in left leg.
- Pain that radiates from hip to calf, esp. in left leg, is accompanied by numbness and is better by warmth.
- It is a must to take the medicines with the correct potency and right dose under the supervision of an experienced Homeopathic doctor.
- Intake of calcium supplements in diet is said to reduce the chances of getting frequent muscle cramps, though one must consult an expert.