An excess amount of fat present in the human body can lead to a chronic condition called obesity. If the amount of fat, which is used to perform multiple functions in the human body, is found in excess (More than 25% in males and 30% in males), it leads to obesity. It is a chronic disease that can lead to other serious ailments such as diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, gallstones and other similar illnesses. It has a high rate of relapse and is difficult to treat.
High Blood Pressure and Obesity
It is a known fact that hypertension is more common among the obese than among the lean and that a positive relationship exists between the level of blood pressure and the degree of obesity.
Obesity induces a high secretion of insulin in trying to decrease the excessive sugar concentration in the blood. This insulin secretion is very high compared to a non-obese subject.
Moreover, the insulin, secreted by the pancreas, is responsible for many modifications in the body:
- It induces a thickening of the vessels which is responsible for an increase in their rigidity, thus increasing the blood pressure;
- It increases the cardiac output, because the secretion of adrenalin is increased;
- It induces the reabsorption of water and salt by the kidney, which increases the blood volume and thus increases the blood pressure;
- Moreover, obesity is responsible for an over-sensitiveness to sodium, which is known to increase the rigidity of the peripheral arteries.
After some time, the obese subject will develop a natural resistance to the insulin which will lead his body to synthetize more insulin, thus generating a rise in the blood pressure by the way of the mechanisms described above.
Non-Surgical Treatments For Obesity-
Inspite of reduction in weight the fat mass or fat % would not be reduced as per individual desire and there can be specific bulges in various body parts. Increased waist circumference is directly proportional to increased cardio-metabolic risks than increased BMI. That is where you need medical treatment for weight loss.
Therefore, the amount of fat deposited in certain regions which cannot be disposed using exercise and dietary changes can be treated using a number of nonsurgical and safe obesity treatments. Some of them are described below:
1. Ultrasonic Lipolysis: A permanent, instant, nonsurgical treatment for fat loss wherein a person loses around 1-3 inches in regions like stomach, arms, thighs, hips and midsection in 60 minutes and thus giving instant inch loss. Unwanted fat cells are destroyed permanently by focussing HIFU (High Intensity Focalised Ultrasound) waves, 1.5 cm below the skin and thereby promoting weight loss/ inch loss.
This type of liposuction technique uses ultrasound or cold (cryo lipolysis) to reduce fat. A transducer (a device that converts one form of energy to another) is applied directly to the skin of the treatment area and do not employ injections (as in injection lipolysis) or incisions (as in laser assisted liposuction).
2. Endermology: It’s a non-surgical massage treatment which is highly effective at reducing cellulite and tightening the skin. This mechanical lymphatic drainage technique reduces the build-up of fluids and toxins in the body, resulting in smoother and firmer skin.
It is used to reduce the amount of cellulite, increase circulation, reduce muscular spasms and provide muscular relief. It makes use of 2 rollers and a suction action and is applied on the top layer of fat. This stretches the connective tissues and reduces cellulite. Being a detoxifying drainage process, it is used for reducing loose body fat and cellulite content. So it is particularly helpful for weight /fat loss from hips (buttocks), thighs and abdomen where stubborn cellulite are found.
3. Mesotherapy: Mesotherapy involves the injection of specially prepared mixture of vitamins, amino acids and medications into the middle layer of the skin which is subcutaneous fat. With this the essential nutrients for the skin are directly injected into the areas which needs treatment. These injections are done so as to target adipose cells (fat cells), which in turn will rupture and die.
Each session takes about 20 to 30 minutes. Before conducting mesotherapy treatment, local anesthetic creams are applied to the area to make the treatment as comfortable as possible. Side effects are slight redness or swellings in the treated area; these are temporary and will be settled in 1-3 days time. Mesotherapy hence is a better option for quick weight /inch loss.