When hair follicles are clogged with dead skin cells, it causes a long term disease called acne which is characterized by regions of blackhead, pimples etc. In Ayurvedic terms, it is known as Youvana Pidaka where Youvana means youth and Pidaka means a skin eruption.
According to Ayurveda, the causes of acne include over usage of cosmetics, excess consumption of non-vegetarian food, consumption of fried and junk food and night awakening.
- Washing 3-4 times a day
- Using simple Ayurvedic home remedies
- Complexion enhancers like sandalwood, turmeric paste
- Coolants and soothing items
- Herbs: Herbs having astringent and severe tastes are detoxifying in nature. Astringent taste dries the oil (sebum) and bitter herbs like neem and turmeric rinses the skin inflammation due to its anti-bacterial effect. Some of such herbs are listed below:
i. Haridra (Turmeric): Reduces oily nature of skin.
ii. Nimba (Neem): Renowned blood-purifier and prevents further damage to skin.
iii. Sariva (Hemidesmus indicus): Acts as a coolant and enhances skin complexion. It is also a good blood purifier.
iv. Daruharidra: Reduces acne scars.
v. Rakta Chandana (Red Sandal): Improves blood circulation.
vi. Amalaki (Indian Gooseberry – Amla): Nourishes blood and skin
vii. Ashwagandha, Shatavari and Ashoka: Corrects hormonal imbalance.
6. Medicines: Oral medications for acne include:
i. Triphala guggulu: Dries sebum, clears pores and channels
ii. Mahamanjishtadi Kashaya: Detoxifies and cleanses blood
iii. Triphaladi Kashaya: Cleanses pores
iv. Usheerasava and Khadirarishta: Purifies blood
v. Arogya Vardhini Vati: Boosts the liver enzyme
vi. Avipathi choorna: Useful during Pitta imbalance conditions
External applications involve oils such as Nalpamaradi oil, Kumkumadi oil and Mukhadooshikari Lepam.
7. Panchakarma: In case of extreme acne cases, Ayurvedic Panchakarma treatments like Virechana (purgation treatment) and Vamana (vomiting therapy) are very effective.