When the pressure of the blood is too high against the artery wall, the condition is termed as high blood pressure, or hypertension. Usually, high blood pressure has no symptom. However, it needs immediate treatment, or else it can lead to serious conditions such as stroke and other heart diseases.
In Ayurveda, high blood pressure affects the heart, the blood vessels and the ‘doshas’ of the body. The doshas ‘vata’ and ‘pitta’ are primarily involved in imbalances that cause high blood pressure. Every Ayurvedic treatment focuses on bringing these ‘doshas’ back to balance.
Some Ayurvedic remedies for high blood pressure include:
- Ajwain reduces pressure by lowering blood concentration that constricts the blood vessels.
- Amla or Indian gooseberry is an excellent remedy to regulate and normalize blood pressure.
- Blood vessels can weaken due to high blood pressure. Vitamin C, found in lemons, can prevent blood vessels from weakening.
- Watermelons and boiled potatoes help in lowering blood pressure as well.
- You can also consume vegetables that are rich in magnesium, which ease hypertension.
- The mono-saturated fat content in olive oil has been found to exponentially lower blood pressure.
- Herbs such as ‘ashwagandha’ and ‘triphala’ can help in maintaining a healthy blood pressure level.
Besides these remedies, you can practice a few minutes of yoga daily to manage your blood pressure. Yoga relaxes you, reduces stress and helps improve on certain lifestyle habits, all of which are connected to high blood pressure.