Pregnancy is one of the most joyous experiences in a woman’s life. An expecting mother should be very careful about what she eats during pregnancy. It is extremely important for the mother to avoid unhealthy food items which may harm the baby and switch to a healthier and more nourishing diet. Expecting mothers should emphasize on consuming more vegetables, fruits, lean protein, dairy products and whole grains.
What should you eat during pregnancy?
- Vegetables and fruits- During the third and second trimester, a pregnant woman should consume more fruits and vegetables. They are not only filled with vitamins, minerals and fibers but are also low in calories.
- Whole grains- They are rich in iron, vitamin-B and fiber. Pregnant women should consume more carbohydrates such as whole wheat breads, brown rice and oatmeal.
- Dairy products- Calcium, vitamin D and protein is very crucial for the development of the fetus during early stages of pregnancy. Dairy products like cheese, milk and yogurt should be consumed for the nourishment of the baby.
- Iron- Low levels of iron can reduce the red blood cells and hemoglobin levels in the blood considerably resulting in anemia. This causes fatigue and involves the risk of developing an infection faster. Poultry meat, pea, cereal containing iron, dried beans and oranges contain high levels of iron in them.
- Folic acid- Foods like pastas, calcium, milk, cheese, fortified cereals and bread should be consumed during pregnancy. These foods contain folic acid which is rich in vitamin B and helps in the development of the baby.
- Protein- Foods like tofu, eggs, peas, meat and fish are a good source of protein and is highly nutritious for you as well as the baby. Protein helps in the development of the baby’s brain and heart.
Foods like alcohol, caffeine and foods rich in mercury cause physical as well as psychological disorders in the baby. These food products should be avoided to some extent.