If the blood sugar level of your body remain high for a long duration of time, it is likely that you are suffering from a chronic disorder known as Diabetes. Diabetes occurs when there is insufficient secretion of insulin (a pancreatic hormone responsible for turning the sugar from the consumed food into energy) or the body cells do not properly respond to insulin.
Ayurveda and Diabetes-
In Ayurveda, diabetes is classified as a Maharoga (or major disorder) because it tends to affect every major body part and tissue (including major organs, blood vessels, and eyes among many others). Ayurvedic remedies offer to lower the blood sugar level and subsequent restoration of the normal bodily functions. The Ayurvedic remedies for diabetes are as follows:
- A herbal preparation made from the herb Chirayata can be consumed in the morning to get effective cure from the skin disorders due to diabetes.
- A daily consumption of a glass of Amla juice with a pinch of turmeric powder in it can be particularly effective to cure the eye problems caused due to diabetes.
- A mixture of dried fenugreek seeds (methi) in warm water can be consumed twice or thrice daily to get suitable remedy from diabetes.
- According to Ayurveda, people suffering from diabetes should avoid any form of sugar from their dietary regime (which includes the exclusion of rice, banana, potato and certain types of cereals). Instead, you should include green vegetables, cereals or herbs which facilitate the secretion of insulin and lower the blood sugar level (like onion, bitter gourd or karela, garlic, black gram and blackberries).
- If you are suffering from Diabetes, you should also regularly perform some of the following exercises:
- Dhanurasana – A form of exercise where you have to touch your ankles with your stretched arms while lying on the stomach. This exercise is extremely beneficial in regulating the mechanism of the pancreas and subsequent lowering of the blood sugar levels.
- Halasana – A form of exercise where you have to lie in a flat posture and slowly bend the knees while placing your arms by the side. Then you have to slowly move your legs at an 180-degree angle over the head to make sure that the toe is touching the floor. Stay in this position for 30 secs to a minute. This exercise will help in the improvement of the immune system and subsequent stimulation of the pancreas and the spleen. However, this and other difficult exercises may need some supervision and will also take time and patience to master.