Laser skin resurfacing is a technique that can be used for reducing the negative effects that prolonged exposure to the sun, acne or aging can have on the skin. This includes wrinkles, scars, blemishes, lines or blotches.
The treatment utilizes focused and pulsating light beams that are targeted on the affected areas of the skin. This beam of light i.e. the laser removes the skin layer by layer with sharp precision. After the procedure, new skin cells develop which make the skin tight and youthful-looking.
Laser skin resurfacing can either be a stand-alone procedure, or can be done in combination with other surgical cosmetic treatments.
Laser skin resurfacing is mainly of two types-
- CO2 Laser Resurfacing: CO2 (carbon dioxide) laser resurfacing can be used for the treatment of wrinkles, scars, warts, swollen oil glands, and other such problems that occur on the skin. This treatment method utilizes fractionated carbon dioxide laser in distinct patterns for the removal of the fine layers of the skin using minimal heat. This reduces the possibility of heat damage. Recovery from treatment using CO2 laser resurfacing usually takes around two weeks.
- Erbium Laser Resurfacing: Lines on the face, hands, neck or chest and moderately deep wrinkles can be reduced using erbium laser resurfacing. Erbium laser resurfacing is preferred because burns on the surrounding tissue are way lesser. Additionally, erbium laser resurfacing also causes less redness, swelling and bruising on the skin. Even the recovery time is faster in this case. Erbium laser resurfacing is generally recommended for people with darker skin.
Benefits of Laser Skin Resurfacing include:
- Tightens the skin.
- Rejuvenation of skin.
- Helps to remove acne scars.
- Helps in removing wrinkles.
- Evens out the skin tone.
- Removes age spots and brown marks.
- Increases production of healthy collagen (building blocks of the skin).
- Adds overall glow to skin.
- Lifts sagging cheeks.