Erectile dysfunction (ED) is the inability of a man to achieve or maintain an erection sufficient for his sexual needs or the needs of his partner. Erectile dysfunction is sometimes called as “impotence”.
The term “erectile dysfunction” means the inability to achieve erection, an inconsistent ability to do so, or the ability to achieve only brief erections.
Ayurveda defines Erectile dysfunction or ED as follows…
“Sankalpapravano nityam priyaam vashyaamapi sthreeyam, Na yaathi lingashaithilyaath kadaachidyaathi vaa yadi, Shwaasaarthaha swinnagaatrshcha moghasankalpacheshtitaha, mlaanashishnashcha nirbeejaha syodetat klaibyalaxanam.”
This means even though a man has a strong desire to perform sexual act with a cooperative partner he can not perform sexual act because of looseness (absence of erection ) of his phallus ( penis). Even if he performs sexual with his determined efforts he does not get erection and gets afflicted with tiredness, perspiration and frustration to perform sex. Many men also suffer from premature ejaculation.
Causes of ED-
Erection requires a sequence of events. Erectile dysfunction can occur when any of the events is disturbed. Nerve impulses in the brain, spinal column, around the penis and response in muscles, fibrous tissues, veins, and arteries in and around the corpora cavernosa constitute this sequence of events. Injury to any of these parts can cause ED.
- Lowered Level of Testosterone Hormone: The primary male hormone is testosterone. After age 40, a man’s testosterone level gradually declines. In many of these cases, low testosterone causes lower sexual interest, not erectile dysfunction. The whole male body responds to testosterone.
- Over Exertion – Physically and Mentally: Working for long hours in office, mental stress at office and home, short temperedness, insufficient sleep cause erectile dysfunction.
- Strained Relationship with Sexual Partner: Erectile dysfunction also occurs when there is a disliking towards sexual partner.
- Diseases that cause Erectile dysfunction: Neurological disorders, hypothyroidism, anemia, depression, arthritis, endocrine disorders, diabetes, diseases related to cardiovascular system also become reasons for erectile dysfunction.
- Consumption of medicines, drugs and tobacco: Using antidepressants, tranquilizers and antihypertensive medicines for a long time, addiction to tobacco especially smoking, excessive consumption of alcohol, cause erectile dysfunction.
- Other reasons: Obesity, prolonged bicycle riding, past history of sexual abuse and old age also cause Erectile dysfunction.
Remedies for ED-
ED is treatable at any age. The total treatment in Ayurveda for impotence is called as “ Vajikarana therapy”. As this natural herbal erectile dysfunction remedy, increases the strength of a man to perform sexual act.
Eligibility for Vajikarana Therapy:
The vajikarana therapy should be administered to persons who are between 18 to 70 years of age. These therapies should be administered only to a self controlled person. If this therapy is administered to a person who does not have self control, he becomes nuisance to society through his illegitimate sex acts.
Decreasing anxiety associated with intercourse, with psychologically based treatment helps to cure ED.
Numerous herbal preparations are mentioned in Ayurveda to treat ED or impotence. The preparations supply the nutrients which are necessary for production of semen.
Ayurveda Tips to Overcome ED-
- Consuming herbal preparations to rejuvenate the reproductive organs.
- Massaging the body with a herbal oil which gives a relief from physical exertion and also acts as aphrodisiac.
- Practicing Yoga and Meditation to overcome mental exertion and to cope up with stress.
- Sleep at least for 8 hours a day.
- Avoiding the consumption of alcohol, tobacco, heroin etc.
- Exercise regularly.
- Avoid hot, spicy and bitter foods.
- Favor sweets, milk products, nuts and urad dal.
- Add little ghee in your diet.
- Give a gap of four days between two consecutive intercourses