Arthroplasty is a surgery that realigns or reconstructs a dysfunctional joint which relieves pain and restores your range of motion. This surgery is done generally when medical treatment fails to improve dysfunctional joint. It is done when you face severe joint pain and stiffness.
This surgery involves:
- Shoulder replacement
- Knee replacement
- Hip replacement
- Reverse total shoulder replacement
- Finger replacement
How can this be done?
- Joint Resection: Under this method, the space in between the bone and socket is increased to improve the range of the motion. This is done by removing a portion of the bone from the stiffened joint. The gap is eventually filled with scar tissues and the joint space narrows down.
- Interpositional Reconstruction: Under this method, a prosthetic disk is added in between the two bones forming the joint and the joints are reshaped. The prosthesis used can be made out of plastic or metal.
Benefits of Arthroplasty-
- Reduces Pain: On undergoing this surgery about 90% of the people feel relief from joint pains. The affected portion or the damaged portion is either removed (the bone or cartilage causing pain) and replaced with prosthetic.
- Improves Functioning of Joint: It is usually observed, that after arthroplasty, people walk and move their joints easily. You will experience a stark improvement in the functioning of your joints.
- Improves Quality of Life: The quality of life improves when all your body parts are active. Now you can do all your work on your own without being dependent on others.
Risks of Arthroplasty-
- Blood clotting
- Nerve damage
- Bone fracture
- Serious infections
Once you undergo this surgery, do take the required precautions. You can also consult an Orthopedist online.