Acne vulgaris, better known as acne, is a skin disease which occurs when the hair follicles get clogged because of dead skin cells and excess sebum secretion. This condition is characterised by areas filled with whiteheads, blackheads, greasy skin and pimples. In some cases, acne might also cause scarring.
Acne can be classified as mild, moderate or severe, depending upon the kind of skin problems one is facing. Severe acne can be a major cause for chronic skin diseases and impacts your psychological well-being as well.
The main causes of acne are:
- A reaction to antibiotics and antidepressants
- Accumulation of oil and sebum
- Cigarette smoking
- Poor dietary choices
Ayurveda has a singular approach to all forms of acne as this problem appears due to imbalance of the three doshas – vata, pitta and kapha. However, the main cause is the aggravation of the pitta dosha, an Ayurvedic humor that symbolizes heat or fire. Pitta dosha manifests in the skin and causes accumulation of heating toxins. These heating toxins accumulate in deep tissues like rasa (nutrient plasma), rakta, (blood), mamsa (muscles) and lasika (lymphatic). These toxins cause contamination of deeper tissues, leading to the condition of Yauvanpidika. Because acne is deep-rooted, use of local creams, antibiotics and lotions only masks the symptoms. Thus, specific Ayurvedic treatment is advised which includes right diet, lifestyle and some specialized herbal combinations that tackle the disease from its root cause.
Ayurveda can prove to be very useful in curing the signs and symptoms of acne. Listed below are a few Ayurvedic remedies you can use to treat acne:
- Tulsi Paste: Tulsi paste can be prepared by crushing tulsi leaves which are easily available. Apply this paste on your acne twice a day to get rid of the scarring and inflammation.
- Neem Leaves: Neem leaves have been proven to have anti-inflammatory properties which can help in curing acne. Applying a paste made of fresh leaves on targeted area once a day can help get rid of the inflammation and redness.
- Potatoes: Potatoes in their grated or crushed form can be applied onto the affected area directly. It can help in reducing inflammation and the burning sensation caused due to acne.
- Coriander Leaves and Turmeric: Make a paste of coriander leaves with a pinch of turmeric and apply it on the pimples to get rid of them. This paste is also effective in treating blackheads and greasy skin.
- Clove Oil: A small amount of clove oil mixed with little milk or water applied on the affected areas can help in treating acne.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice-
- Avoid spicy, oily and sour foods.
- Eat fresh, unprocessed food.
- Increase the use of herbs that have cooling effects on the body like fennel, coriander seeds, Indian gooseberry (amla) and aloe vera.
- Increase intake of water.
- Wash your face frequently.
- Avoid irritant cosmetics.
- Do not squeeze the acne lesions.
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a sexologist and ask a free question.