By Dr. Rajeshkumar Radadiya, Ayurveda
Diabetes is a condition that is characterized by high blood glucose levels; either because the body doesn’t secrete adequate insulin (Type 1 Diabetes) or it doesn’t respond to insulin properly (Type 2 Diabetes). Poorly managed diabetes can lead to a host of long-term complications like :-
- Heart attacks.
- Nerve damage.
- Amputation of Limb.
- Impotence in men.
- Pruritus (Itching)
There is no permanent cure to this condition, however, Ayurveda, with all its offerings, can be beneficial in more ways than one.
According to Ayurveda, there are 20 forms of Diabetes (Prameha): 4 are due to Vata, 6 result from Pitta, and 10 are caused by Kapha. But Diabetes (Prameha) is mainly kapha doshaja disease. All forms of diabetes not treated to, eventually develop into Madhumeha (Diabetes Melitus).
Causes of Diabetes –
- Diet increasing kapha dosha such as sugar, fats, potatoes, rice.
- Lack of exercise.
- Mental stress and strain.
- Excessive sleep etc.
Listed below are a few Ayurvedic Remedies for Diabetes:
- Pterocarpus: Pterocarpus, also known as Vijaysar, is a deciduous tree which is widely found in the Deccan Peninsula. The remedy made from this reduces the glucose absorption in the intestines which is why it is useful in dealing with Type 2 diabetes. All you need to do is soak a piece of the bark in water overnight and drink it in the morning.
- Gymnema: Gymnema, popularly known as gurmar, can be infused into tea and drank. It is proven to be able to destroy sugar in the body due to the presence of ‘saponins’ and gymnemic acids. These substances reduce the sugar absorbed by your body and might be useful as an appetite suppressant. According to a study, this plant also increases the insulin secretion.
- Jamun Seeds: Jamun seeds are considered to have magical properties as consuming them raw or mixing a few seeds with lukewarm water can prevent the starch in your body from getting converted into sugar.
- Guduchi: Popularly known as ‘Amrit’, this plant helps you cope with stress and illness. Other than that, the extracts from the stem of the plant contain an enzyme called alpha glucosidase which is useful in breaking down the glucose in the body. This prevents hyperglycemia (high blood sugar levels) in diabetic patients.
- Ground Bay Leaves: Consuming ground bay leaves before or after your meals in their raw form can help diabetic patients as these leaves regulate and control the blood sugar levels. Thus, it is a wonderful solution for people who suffer from diabetes as their blood sugar levels can be lowered.
Diabetes is not just a lack of insulin. Its most probable cause is poor maintenance of your diet and physical health. Its cure will need to include all of these things discussed. By doing all, diet, herbs, exercise and stress management, we will be able to take care of a single problem Diabetes. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ayurveda and ask a free question.