By Dr. Neha Gupta , Homeopathy
High quality prenatal care is the foundation for the good health of both mother and baby. This is achieved by combining the best of both orthodox and complementary therapies.
The principles of homeopathic medicine explain the reasons behind the odd cravings and food aversions of pregnancy. Hormonal and physical changes put pressure on the defence or homeostatic mechanism of the pregnant woman. The body then calls out for help in the language of symptoms that may include morning sickness, gestational diabetes, hemorrhoids, muscle cramps and a myriad of other complaints that conventional medicine is not able to treat successfully.
Homeopathic medicines are potentized (diluted and vigorously shaken) beyond the point of containing any molecules of the original substance, yet medicinal qualities are retained and passed on to the patient. Remedy selection is individualized, based on the pattern of symptoms that the mother exhibits. In order to correctly choose the right homeopathic remedy, the prescriber (whether it’s the mother, her spouse, midwife or physician) must be able to elicit the small, but characteristic, details of the chief complaint. Seemingly unrelated mental, emotional or physical symptoms may also be important in pointing to the correct remedy.
The various homeopathic remedies for problems during and post pregnancy are:
- Arnica: This remedy is prescribed if you feel sore and bruised when you go into labor. It helps in minimizing soft tissue damage, reducing swelling and decreasing risks of various infections.
- Aconite: Aconite is useful in treating fear and anxiety that result from intense contractions during pregnancy.
- Caulophylum: This homeopathic remedy is used to tone and strengthen the uterus prior to birth. It helps to dilate the cervix and maintain contractions during birth.
- Bellis Perennis: This remedy is used for treating pain that occurs in the pelvic and the abdominal region during pregnancy. It is also used for treating various body ache issues that gradually develop after giving birth.
- Gelsemium: Problems during labor such as not experiencing proper muscle contractions can be remedied by this particular medicine. It also helps in easing any pre-delivery anxiety of the mother.
- Staphysagria: Staphysagria is a homeopathic remedy that is used to better the healing of incisions after delivery. It also helps in relieving negative emotions such as anger and resentment which can often accompany a difficult pregnancy.
These are just a few of the commonly used Homeopathic remedies and are mentioned only to create awareness about the effectiveness of Homeopathic medicines during Pregnancy. It is not advisable to resort to self-medication for any disease.