By Dr Feroz Khan, Cosmetic Physician
Under eye dark circles usually tend to develop if you are not getting the required number of sleep hours or if you have been putting yourself under a lot of stress lately. However, if you still notice the presence of under-eye dark circles even after getting an adequate amount of sleep, it could be a result of crater formation beneath the eyes or swollen eyelids.
This is a common problem and are frequently described as “tired eyes.” Although dark circles may be the result of facial aging, they can affect both men and women of all ages and have a variety of causes.
The causes of under eye dark circles are as follows:
- Hereditary factors and constant exposure to sunlight which might result in the over-secretion of melanin (the pigment responsible for skin coloration).
- Dark circles might also occur as a result of a severe trauma or due to allergies.
- Lifestyle choices such as Smoking, Hyperpigmentation caused by sun damage, caffeine consumption, alcohol, sleep deprivation, Dehydration, Dietary deficiencies, etc.
- Contact dermatitis (a condition which is characterized by itchy rash formation on the skin after coming in contact with certain foreign substances such as cosmetics, soap or fragrances) might also cause dark circles.
- The gradual loosening of the skin along with the collagen (skin’s building blocks) as you age can cause dark circles or reddish blue tints under your eyes.
Dark- circles are not a very serious condition and can be taken care of easily by applying certain prescribed creams. Laser therapy can also be used to completely eliminate dark circles. Filler injections can also be used if the dark circles are formed because of sudden and drastic fat loss. If the dark circles are not deep set or temporary, applying of a cold piece of cloth around your eyes can remedy the condition.
Here are the steps you should follow in order to prevent under-eye dark circles:
- You should clock the required sleep hours every day (around 7-8 hours every day).
- Avoid alcohol and quit tobacco immediately.
- It is recommended to include a lot of vegetables and fruits in your dietary regime because the antioxidants present in fruits and green vegetables help fighting dark circles. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a cosmetic physician and ask a free question.