How to get rid of Rosacea?
Rosacea is a common disorder of the skin, and is believed to result from the inflammatory reaction of the immune system. While the exact cause of Rosacea is not known, some common triggers include hot and spicy food, alcohol, anger, direct rays of the sun etc. There are 3 ways by which Rosacea can be prevented – effective skincare, lifestyle changes and medical treatment.
- Wash your face twice a day with mild water. It is advised not to scrub your face. A cleanser can be used on a daily basis.
- Lotion or moisturizing cream should be immediately applied after washing the face. Lotions consisting of fragrance, alcohol or peppermint should be strictly avoided.
- Apply aloe vera on your face twice a day. It has proven capabilities of reducing inflammation and redness of the skin.
- Apply coconut oil on your face. Coconut oil tends to retain moisture and also possesses antimicrobial properties. People with acne should refrain from using it though.
- An oatmeal mask can greatly help your skin to fight rosacea. The mixture is prepared by mixing oats with milk and the mixture is applied on the face, and kept that way for 30 minutes.
- Applying sunscreen is a pre-requisite to fight against redness of skin. Sunscreen creams help in avoiding clogging of the skin pores too.
- Avoid cold weather so that the blood vessels do not constrict and make your face red as soon as you step in a warmer climate.
- Be hydrated throughout the day. The best way to do this is to consume a lot of water and fresh fruits and vegetables such as apples, papayas, watermelons, carrots, coconuts, sweet potatoes etc.
- Applying cold compress such as an icepack can be extremely effective in preventing Rosacea. It will shrink the blood vessels in the skin and prevent redness. Even cucumber and green tea can be very helpful.
If your skin is hyper sensitive, seeking a dermatologist’s advice is the best way to go about treatment. Your doctor can prescribe low doses of antibiotics along with oracea and doxycycline. If you prefer topical treatment, your doctor might suggest metrogel, sulfur and salicyclic acid related products. Apart from these, laser treatment has been found to be helpful in dealing with this condition. This will be a long term solution too. The treatment duration can be of 2-3 weeks based on the skin condition. Often anesthetics and ice treatment are suggested along with laser treatment. Patients with acne are generally treated with a strong antibiotic to deal with the bacteria along with the usual drugs to fight rosacea.