Dysmenorrhea is a condition in which women experience menstrual cramps accompanied by pain during menstruation. The pain is likely to begin when the menstrual period starts. Pain is usually experienced in the lower abdomen and pelvic region. For some, the pain also radiates to the legs. Other symptoms such as diarrhoea, back pain and nausea have also been observed.
The cramps caused by dysmenorrhea can be irritating, painful and even affect daily life.Here are some simple tips to treat dysmenorrhea:
- Dietary improvements should be made to reduce dysmenorrhea cramps. You should reduce fat from your daily diet and add more vegetables. A low-fat diet helps in reducing inflammation levels in the body. Modifications in the diet will successfully reduce the severity of menstrual cramps. A balanced diet should be followed strictly.
- Several painkiller medicines which belong to the nonsteroidal, anti-inflammatory group may be used to soothe the pain caused by the cramps. These medicines help in lowering prostaglandin production, the release of which causes menstrual cramps. Inflammation and overall pain get reduced.
- You can consume certain teas, which relieve menstrual cramps. Herbal tea has been used for this purpose for a long time. Cramp bark is an effective herb for this purpose. Tea with peppermint oil present in it is also considered effective.
- Fish oil supplements along with vitamin B1 can be taken for natural treatment of menstrual cramps. Good, quick and lasting pain relief is found by using fish-oil supplements, vitamin B1 or both.
- Acupuncture can be used for relieving menstrual cramps. The nervous system gets relaxed, causing robust flow of blood to the internal body organs. Effective pain relief can be obtained via acupuncture.
- Undertaking massage therapy using certain essential oils for pain relief can be beneficial for menstrual cramps, which occur due to dysmenorrhea.
- Heating pads can be used to get relief from menstrual cramps. Topically applied heat is as effective as OTC medicines and relief can be obtained in a very short time. It can, however, lead to heavier blood flow.
- Boosting endorphins, which is released during a work out and during an orgasm, can also lead to pain relief along with improved mood. Aerobic exercises and stretching techniques can effectively soothe menstrual cramps.
- Increasing the amount of magnesium in your diet can help relieve menstrual pain. Magnesium can be taken in the form of magnesium rich food items and also as supplements. It is considered to be an effective treatment for dysmenorrhea.
Menstrual cramps, which occur due to dysmenorrhea, can be very frustrating, painful and irritating. However, the above tips can help alleviate the pain to a large extent.