By Dr. Rushali Angchekar , Homeopathy
When blood supply to the brain is interrupted, the brain gets severely affected. This damage to the brain is defined as stroke.
The two major causes of strokes are rupture or leaking of a blood vessel, or a blocked artery.
Strokes can be of three types:
- Ischemic Stroke: The most common type, this happens because of a blockage of a blood vessel carrying oxygen and blood to the brain.
- Haemorrhagic Stroke: This happens because of a leak or a rupture in the blood vessel.
- TIA or Transient Ischemic Attack: This is the same as the first type, just that the normal blood flow to the brain resumes within a short period of time.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS-
The signs and symptoms of strokes include:
- Trouble with understanding and speaking.
- Numbness or paralysis of the leg, face or arm.
- Blackened or blurred vision in both eyes or in one eye.
- Sudden headaches accompanied by nausea.
- Problems with walking normally.
If someone is showing one or more symptoms or signs of stroke, he/she will need immediate medical attention.
To aid in recovery from a stroke, a team consisting of the following medical practitioners is required:
- Physicians qualified in rehabilitation medicine.
- Occupational therapists.
- Language and speech therapists.
- Orthotists (Medical professionals who work with prosthetics).
- Social workers and psychologists.
Homeopathic treatments are intended to support recovery from a stroke, rather than to treat an acute episode. If you suspect you may be having a stroke, seek emergency medical treatment immediately.
Some homeopathic remedies for strokes include:
- Aconite Nap: This is an excellent remedy to counter the panic and fear that grips a person during a stroke.
- Aurum mur: Sometimes strokes can lead to depression, which is treated with Aurum mur.
- Baryta carb: Baryta carb effectively lowers systolic blood pressure (the pressure in the heart when the heart muscles contract).
- Cocculus: The symptoms of nausea, numbness and dizziness are best treated with Cocculus.
- Kali brom: If blood vessels rupture suddenly along with paralysis, Kali brom is recommended.
- Opium: Obstructed breathing and incapacity due to stroke are best treated with Opium.
These are just a few of the commonly used Homeopathic remedies and are mentioned only to create awareness about the effectiveness of Homeopathic medicines in treating a stroke. It is not advisable to resort to self-medication for any disease.
Note: Consult a homeopath before opting for any remedy and get immediate medical attention if stroke symptoms appear.