Premature ejaculation is characterized by involuntary and uncontrolled orgasms, either before or after sexual intercourse. The resulting situation can be very distressing and frustrating for the individual as it can hamper his sex life drastically. However, it cannot be regarded as a cause of concern unless it occurs regularly or too frequently.
- In majority of the cases, the exact cause of premature ejaculation cannot be easily determined. It usually happens due to insignificant levels of sexual stimulation or if the person has been subject to excess levels of stress of late.
- Sometimes, premature ejaculation can occur due to mental and psychological factors such as guilt, anxiety or depression.
- Nervousness might also be an additional trigger.
- Premature ejaculation can also be associated with medical issues such as injury, hormonal problems or side effects of certain medicines.
The semen is ejaculated right after penetration, within a short span of time, or even prior to the penetration while engaging in sexual intercourse. Due to this reason, a feeling of unsatisfactory sex might creep in. It is also considered to be one of the most common forms of sexual dysfunction in men.
TREATMENT AND PREVENTION-
Problems related to premature ejaculation usually heal with time and treatment is rarely needed. However, some treatments and practices that can help in preventing the disease include:
- In some cases, abstaining from tobacco and other prohibited drugs or reducing alcohol consumption might improve control over ejaculation.
- Methods of distraction or relaxation techniques aid in delaying ejaculation.
- Using certain gels, sprays and creams can help in addressing premature ejaculation by reducing sensation.
- Using a condom is also advised, not because it helps the cause of safe sex, but because condoms can actually reduce the pleasure sensations to an extent, thus delaying ejaculation.
- Certain antidepressant medicines such as Dapoxetine and Clomipramine, which have a side effect called inhibited orgasm, help in delaying ejaculation.
- Anxiety related to premature ejaculation could be reduced using counselling or behavioural therapy.