By Motherhood , Gynaecology
In-vitro fertilization or IVF can be challenging for the mental as well as physical health of a mother. The two week’s wait is not a cake-walk. A woman has to go through emotional and physical setbacks sometimes. But, there’s nothing to be upset about it and get panicked or heart-broken. Remember, every cloud has a silver lining. And, there are definite ways to cope up with the stress and strains of IVF. Here are tips to manage life after IVF:
1. Take it easy and relax: It is very important that you take adequate amount of rest after the transfer of embryo. Be very careful about your health and body for at least two weeks. Don’t indulge in heavy and rigorous works. It is best to avoid things like— lifting heavy objects, hot baths and rigorous exercise. Take the help of your relatives or husband in daily activities. You just can’t risk your life or the embryo’s by indulging in difficult tasks. In fact, take an off for two weeks. Ask your office to pardon you for at least this period. This two-week is very crucial for you as well as the embryo’s health.
2. Don’t skip your medicines: After the IVF is done, you will have to be careful about your medications. You can’t afford to skip taking the medicines prescribed by your physician. The medicines will keep the embryo healthy and alive. They will also take care of your uterus.
3. Be aware of spotting or bleeding but don’t panic: You should be alert about any spotting or bleeding. You must call your doctor in case of bleeding. But, don’t panic. It is normal that there is spotting or bleeding within two weeks of IVF. However, if the bleeding is excessive and doesn’t seem to stop, it is best to visit a doctor.
4. Eat healthy: It’s high time that you stop eating junk and spicy food. It is important that you include balanced proportions of vitamins and minerals in your diet. Dependence on only carbs, fats and proteins will cause harm to you and your embryo.
5. Don’t have sexual intercourse: It is very important that you stay away from any kind of sexual activity at this period. Avoid having sexual intercourse right after an IVF cycle. You can develop infections. You might have an increased urge for having sex due to the influence of hormones. But, control your sexual urges and save your embryo as well as the uterus.