What are the foods that you can bank on if you want to lose weight? Are potatoes bad for you? Or is red meat fattening?
There are just too many myths surrounding weight loss and food. Read on to get the real picture-
1. Eggs: Eggs were labeled as high cholesterol foods once upon a time. These super-foods have made a comeback into the healthy food category due to fresh research. New studies prove eggs are completely heart-safe and also don’t up cholesterol levels. And what’s even better- eggs are the best foods you can eat to lose weight. How is it so? It’s because eggs are high in protein and healthy fats, and can also make you full with a very little amount of calories.
2. Green leafy vegetables: Kale and spinach are incredible sources of nutrients and also have loads of fibre, fewer calories and carbohydrates. These incredible properties make them ideal for weight- loss. Leafy vegetables also increase the volume of your meal without the extra calories. They are also extremely nutrient-dense and rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, plus calcium, which has been shown to help burn fat.
3. Fish like Salmon: Oily fish like salmon is good for weight loss. It is low in calories, high in proteins and keeps you feeling full for longer time period. Apart from being loaded with healthy fats like Omega -3 fatty acids, salmon also contains a high amount of iodine. Iodine helps keep your weight down because it regulates thyroid function. The omega-3 fights inflammation in the body which has a big role to play in causing obesity and metabolic diseases like diabetes. Mackerel, trout, sardines, herring are a few other oily fish that are good for you if you want to slim down. And so is Tuna, a lean weight, high protein fish.
4. Cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and brussels sprouts: These veggies are high in fibre so they make you feel full longer and they also contain significant amounts of protein. So include these perfect foods for their neat nutrients, low energy-density and cancer-fighting abilities.
5. Non-vegetarian foods like lean beef and chicken breast: Processed meat is bad, but unprocessed red meat is good and doesn’t cause heart disease and diabetes. Meat is also weight loss- friendly because it contains lots of protein. Eating a high protein diet can make you burn up to 100 more calories per day on an average, according to studies. Studies also prove that increasing your protein intake to 30% of total calories in a meal can cut food cravings by 60% and cause weight loss of almost a pound per week.
6. Boiled potatoes: Potatoes have high satiety index so they are your best friend if you want to lose weight. Plus they are rich in nutrients. You can also gorge on sweet potatoes, turnips and other root vegetables to lose weight.