By Dr Harsh Bharat Amin , Cosmetic/Plastic Surgery
Breast reduction surgery is a cosmetic surgical procedure that is used to reduce (reshape) the size of the breasts. It is generally used to reduce size of large breasts to make them look proportionate with the rest of the body. It is also used to reshape the size if it happens to cause any physical discomfort. This surgery can also be opted for to lift saggy or droopy breasts.
When should you consider this surgery?
You may consider this surgery in any of the following circumstances:
- One of the breasts is smaller than the other
- If you have breasts which are heavy with the nipple pointing downward
- If the sheer size of your breasts makes you cautious
- The breasts are not proportionate with the rest of your body.
- If large breasts are causing problems such as back pain, neck pain and skin problems
The cosmetic benefits of breast reduction can not be overlooked:
- Your breast will be lifted and firmer, helping you look more youthful.
- Bras will fit more comfortably and attractively.
- With better proportioned breasts, your overall silhouette will be more balanced and attractive.
- Stretched areolas and/or large nipples can be reduced during the same procedure, helping you look better in and out of clothing.
- Swimsuits, sports bras, and form-fitting clothes will look and feel better, helping boost your confidence during activity.
The entire procedure takes around 3-4 hours. Once the incisions are made, excess tissues, fat and skin from the breast are removed. The skin that is right above the nipples is brought down to reshape the breast. Once the process is completed, drains are attached to the breast to drain out the remnant fluids. The surgeon then closes the incisions with sutures and covers the area with dressing.
After the discharge, you should follow certain guidelines. You have to take antibiotics to combat any infection that may occur. It’s normal to experience soreness and stiffness in the area around the breasts; this should subside eventually. Sleep with two pillows placed under your upper back because this should help relieve the pressure and pain. Be careful about any blood clot that could form in the region around your breasts.