By Dr.Priyanka Suneet Shende, Ayurveda
Runny nose (rhinorrhea), as the name suggests, refers to a condition when your nostrils keep on discharging a fluid. It happens due to congestion and inflammation of the linings in your nasal passages and sinuses, mostly caused by a viral infection which we know as common cold. The other causes that lead to the swelling of inner linings of nose and sinus include allergy, flu or sinus infection. Mucus is continually produced by the glands in your nose and sinuses. Anti-histamines, decongestants and sometimes even antibiotics are used by doctors to treat runny nose and other accompanying symptoms. But they all come with their own side effects. Here are some safe and ayurvedic remedies for runny nose that can give you relief from this very uncomfortable condition and help expel the fluid comfortably.
Ayurvedic Remedies for Runny Nose
- Vitamin C deficiency can often cause Cold problems. So go for rich natural source of vitamin C like Oranges, Gooseberries (Amla), Sweet lime (Mosambi), Grapes, Guava (Amrud) etc.
- Eating hot Gram flour halva helps in controlling running nose instantly and effectively.
- Eating a small piece of Onion (Pea size) or sucking a piece of Clove (Laung) helps to get instant relief from cold or running nose.
- Ragi mixed with Turmeric powder sprinkled on the burning coal and the fumes inhaled cures nose blockage or cold very fast.
- Turmeric powder sprinkled on the burning coal and the fumes inhaled (but after that don’t drink water for 5 hours) cures nose blockage, cold very fast.
- Eating an Apple everyday before meals cures and prevents running nose or cold.
- Dry Ginger powder (Saunth) mixed with old Jaggery (Gur) taken twice a day helps to cure running nose or cold.
- Milk boiled with Ginger, Black pepper (Kali mirch), Basil (Tulsi) leaves, Cloves (Laung), Red Sugar candy (Mishri) or Jaggery is very useful in curing Cold. This should be taken hot before going to bed, and cover the body to preserve body heat, do it for few days.
- Taking Steam with Eucalyptus oil drops helps in curing cold or nose blockage.
- Rubbing the whole body using Salt while taking bath helps to cure cold or running nose.
- Black pepper powder, Ginger juice and Basil juice mixed with Honey taken thrice a day cures running nose or cold.
- Making Tea with few Mint (Pudina) leaves or with Ginger or with Basil leaves and drinking cures running nose or cold.
- Taking Garlic in any form helps in curing running nose, sneeze or cold.
- Figs (Anjeer) boiled in water and this hot water taken twice a day cures cold or running nose.
- Eating half spoon of Turmeric powder and drinking hot water for few days helps to overcome running nose or cold.