By Dr. Sheenu Sanjeev , Dietitian/Nutritionist
Feeling sluggish lately or gaining weight even when you are not eating much? This might be because of your metabolism which has slowed down. A slow metabolism causes the body to store fat and can lead to chronic fatigue. This condition makes it very difficult to lose fat even with exercise; the key is to focus on your diet. The type of foods you eat and when you eat them play an important role in your metabolism.
Here is a list of 10 foods that can surely boost up your metabolism:
- Almonds: Almonds are a good source of heart healthy fats and Vitamin E. These foods are good for your brain and they also promote satiety.
- Blueberries: Blueberries are part of the berry family, these berries are rich in antioxidants which help in combating free radical damage. Unchecked free radicals can cause you to become sick, and also inhibit your muscle growth.
- Salmon: Salmon is a high protein food that contains Omega 3 fatty acids in good amounts. Omega 3 fatty acids improve heart function and reduce the chances of cardiovascular diseases. The protein in salmon increases metabolism and helps to combat fat loss.
- Coffee: Coffee, if consumed without sugar and milk, can boost your metabolism. Coffee contains caffeine that is known for boosting your metabolic rate. Make sure that you don’t consume coffee in large amounts.
- Spinach: Spinach is a well-known super food as it is densely packed with nutrients. It contains good amounts of zinc, niacin, magnesium and phosphorus which help in controlling your blood pressure levels, along with keeping your metabolism on the fast track.
- Oats: Oats are a good source of fiber and complex carbohydrates. They help in slowing down the digestion of starch and hence, do not cause fluctuations in blood sugar levels along with helping you to step up your body’s metabolism.
- Chicken: Chicken helps boost metabolism due to its high protein and iron content which helps in improving muscle mass and strength.
- Eggs: Eggs are super foods that contain protein in good amounts. They also contain Vitamins required for good skin.
- Green Tea: Green tea contains antioxidants which are good for your body. They do not contain calories; rather help you in losing weight by upping the metabolic rate of the body. However, remember that Green tea contains caffeine in trace amounts, so try not exceeding 2-3 cups a day.
- Water: Water is a wonder fluid; consumption of which rather frequently boosts your metabolism and energy levels in the body. Drink about 2-3 liters of water every day to keep your overall health fit and fine.