By Dr. Sheeja M , Homeopathy
Epilepsy is a disorder of the nervous system that affects people of all age groups. The primary symptom is marked by violent episodes of body spasms or involuntary movements that are convulsive in nature, also known as seizures. The best way to describe them is as irregular and spasmodic body movements. The intensity of these seizures may vary from person to person. These seizures occur due to irregular nerve impulses within the brain.
It may present with varying intensity and duration, and different groups of muscles in different individuals, at different times.
Typically, epilepsy or seizures occur due to abnormal electrical activity in the brain which is reflected on different groups of muscles.
Epilepsy is a chronic disease having a tendency to relapse periodically and for many years to lifetime, if not adequately treated.
- There may be changes in the mood of the person prior to the days leading to the seizures.
- The limbs may suffer from temporary weakness.
- You may have headaches, confusion and myalgia (acute pain in a single muscle or group of muscles).
Homeopathy is strongly recommended as supportive line of treatment along with conventional treatment, in most cases. Be it depression, stress and anxiety, migraines, blood pressure, or any such disease, Homeopathy has proved to be the best alternative.
It may be stated that homeopathy alone may not help all the cases of epilepsy. At the same time, it is worth making a note that many cases of epilepsy which were resistant to the conventional medication, do respond significantly to homeopathy.
In the cases where brain tumor is the cause of epilepsy, homeopathy is not suggested as the line of treatment.
Homeopathy provides very effective treatments for seizures, as it is a holistic method of treatment. Seizures being internal disorders of the body benefit from the treatments that homeopathy offer, as these treatments improve your overall well being. They focus on treating the underlying conditions that lead to seizures. The various homeopathic remedies for seizures are –
- Calcarea carbonica – This remedy is effective in treating anxiety, loss of memory, irritability and palpitation that occurs in epilepsy. It helps you in falling asleep easily and thus relieves the buildup of pressure which can trigger an episode.
- Buforana – This homeopathic remedy is used to treat epilepsy that occurs from fears or sexual excesses. Some seizures may happen during sexual intercourse and may be triggered by the activities themselves. Prior to the seizures, you may be irritable and talk in an incoherent manner. This treatment is most useful to stop seizures that happen due to sexual activity.
- Cuprum metallicum – This remedy is very useful in treating epilepsy in children. For seizures that are nocturnal in nature, Cuprum metallicum is extremely effective. It is also known to reduce the frequency of epilepsy attacks. It is usually used in cases where the cause of the seizures is either the onset of the menstrual cycle or fear.
- Silicea – Silicea is effective in treating nocturnal epilepsy, usually caused by mental stress. There may be a feeling of coldness before the episode followed by warm perspiration. Silicea can effectively arrest the occurrence if administered in time.
These are just a few of the commonly used Homeopathic remedies and are mentioned only to create awareness about the effectiveness of Homeopathic medicines for epilepsy. It is not advisable to resort to self-medication for any disease.