By Dr. Nakul Shah, Orthopaedics
Orthopaedics directly belongs to the bones and muscles. Orthopaedics is the branch of surgery related to the musculoskeletal system. There are two types of treatments in this category known as surgical another is nonsurgical. In the frequent movements of the body, there are multiple reasons cause Orthopedic disorders and if a body involves in the sports or professional activities of physical moves the chances of injuries or disorders become higher. If a body gets fracture or breakdown of bones or muscles, it becomes a subject to analyze under Orthopaedics. Orthopaedics is the very vast category that includes several branches related to the multiple surgeries and treatments.
To know more about this branch of surgery let’s have a quick view about the sub-specialities that come under surgical or nonsurgical treatment.
- Shoulder and elbow surgery
- Hand surgery
- Paediatric orthopaedics
- Total joint reconstruction
- Spine Surgery
- Foot and ankle surgery
- Musculoskeletal Oncology
- Orthopaedic trauma
- Surgical sports medicine
These are the department of surgery performing by the Orthopedic Surgeons, but there are many other practices perform by them. These practices take more than 50 hours in a week in these departments including some administrative works as well to make them best in the category. You can find some more procedures count under the Orthopaedics such as –
- Knee arthroscopy – meniscectomy – chondroplasty – anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction
- Shoulder arthroscopy / distal clavicle excision – decompression – debridement
- Carpal tunnel release
- Debridement of skin – muscle – bone – fracture
- Hip replacement
- Lumbar Spinal fusion
- Low back intervertebral disc
- Incise finger tendon sheath etc.
What are the Different Types of Orthopaedic Surgeries?
Here are the top 4 most common orthopedic surgeries:
- Total Joint Replacement: The surgeon assesses damaged parts of the joint, which can lie within many joints in the body, and replace it with metal and plastic surfaces that are naturally shaped to restore knee movement and normal function.
- Total Shoulder Replacement: This procedure involves replacing damaged parts of the bone and cartilage with a metal or plastic implant. Much like any other replacement procedure, it improves the range of motion at the shoulder joint.
- Spine Surgery: There are a variety of problems that may lead to spine surgery. One of the main reasons why patients seek professional help is because of the increasing back pain that impairs their day-to-day life.
- ACL Reconstruction: ACL stands for the Anterior Cruciate Ligament, which is the major stabilizing ligament of the knee. Orthopedic surgeon reconstruct this ligament when it ruptures, which can happen while participating in sports or twisting the knee the wrong way.
With these procedures there are some removal surgeries like removal of support implant, some repair surgeries are also in line, like repair of –
- Femoral neck fracture
- Trochanteric Fracture
- Rotator Cuff Tendon
- Fracture of radius bone
- Ankle Fracture
- Fracture of the distal part of radius
- Ankle Fracture
- Femoral Shaft Fracture
- Trochanteric Fracture etc.
Because of this kind of depth in this very helpful surgical and nonsurgical treatment, the physical fitness level is increasing worldwide. The professional physical exercises like sports and athletics even the defense exercise (physical) getting a new high and people getting the long life of their physical fitness.