By Dr. Isha Bhalla , Ayurveda
Ayurveda can be used efficiently in treating diabetes, which is an abnormal condition where the level of sugar in humans are abnormally higher. In Ayurvedic terms, diabetes is known as Prameha.
Ayurveda states that the health of a person is dependent on doshas, which is said to be divided into 3 major types – Kapha, Pitta and Vata. Lack of exercise and intake of food having excess of snigdha, ushna and guru types are said to be the primary cause of prameha.
The individual’s constitution plays a major role in ayurvedic treatment of prameha. Some of them are:
- Ahara and Vihara (food and lifestyle)
- Obstruction in srotas (channels of circulation)
- Dosha predominance of disease
- Manasika Prakrithi (mental health of the individual)
- Hereditary factors
Diabetes can be managed efficiently using a variety of herbs. They can either be used alone or in combination with other drugs. Some of them are:
- Pterocarpus marsupium (Vijaysar churna)
- Eugenia jambolana (Jamun beej churna)
- Ficus bengalensis (Nyagrodha twaka churna – banyan tree bark)
- Momordica chirantia Karvellaka (Karella – Bitter Gourd)
- Embelica officinalis (Amla)
- Kirat tikata (Chirayata)
There is a possibility that some patients would not be able to adequately respond to insulin or other hypoglemic medicines. In this condition, the physician might prescribe ayurvedic drugs such as:
1. Chandraprabha vati
2. Dhatri Nisha
3. Vasant kusumakar rasa
4. Madhuvijay Capsule
Along with the above stated herbs and medicine, Ayurveda gives importance to the maintenance of a balanced diet and exercise.