By Dr. Hema Parashar , Ayurveda
Also known as Haemorrhoids, ‘Piles’ is a condition which adversely affects the anal region in the human body. Stagnant blood causes swelling in the arteries of the rectal area, which leads to piles. The swollen arteries cause pain, discomfort and itching while standing, sitting or walking. It is a possibility that bleeding might occur during urination and in this case, the condition is known as bleeding piles. The physical spot of the arteries determines whether the piles are internal or external. The intensity of pain varies from mild discomfort to extreme pain in certain cases.
Surgical treatment of piles is not necessary; rather it has been observed that recurrence of the condition is experienced by people who usually undertake surgery. Treatment of piles using Ayurveda usually includes dietary and lifestyle changes; making most of the remedies easily implementable. Listed below are some Ayurvedic remedies:
- Herbs: Herbs used for ayurvedic treatment of piles include Haritaki and jimikand.
- Diet: Permanent moderation of diet is needed for the treatment of piles. Some dietary changes include:
- Starchy foods such as yellow pumpkin and potato should be avoided and replaced with fibrous foods.
- Inclusion of mango and sesame seeds adds bulk to the diet and helps in preventing constipation.
- Natural food softeners such as ‘jambul’, ‘amalaki’, dried figs and papaya are also recommended.
- Vegetables having larger amounts of roughage, such as turnip, onions, radish, ginger and bitter gourd should be added to the diet.
- Lifestyle Changes: Some of the basic lifestyle changes include:
- Regular cleansing of the colon
- Regular exercise is mandatory
- A normal and healthy sex life should be followed. Aggravation of symptoms of piles is caused due to abnormal or excess sex.
- Avoiding sitting for long periods
- Consume enough water in a day (about 2-3 liters)