By Dr. Rushali Angchekar , Homeopathy
Chest pain may be caused by multiple problems within the body and while being a problem in itself, may also be a symptom of a bigger underlying problem. Chest pain may be caused by anything from simple chest congestion due to a cold to something far more serious such as the onset of a heart attack. While it is important that lifestyle changes be made to prevent major issues, homeopathy can provide relief for many symptoms till extensive medical steps are taken to correct the problem.
Some causes of chest pain
- Onset of a heart attack
- Weakness of the arteries
- Weakness of the heart muscle
- Chest congestion or cold
Homeopathy For Chest Pain
Homeopathy is one of the most popular holistic systems of medicine. The selection of remedy is based upon the theory of individualization and symptoms similarity. This is the only way through which a state of complete health can be regained by removing all the sign and symptoms from which a patient is suffering.
The aim of homeopathy is not only to treat chest pain, but to address its underlying cause and individual susceptibility of the patient. For this patient’s current symptoms, past medical history and family history are taken into account. There are many homeopathic remedies which cover the symptoms of chest pain and can be selected on the basis of cause, location, sensation, modalities and extension of the pain. For individualized remedy selection and treatment of chest pain, the patient should consult a qualified homeopathic doctor in person. In medical emergencies like myocardial infarction and pulmonary embolism, immediate hospitalization is usually required. Below given are some of the homeopathic remedies for various kinds of chest pain:
- Chest pain from congestion – There are a variety of medications which can help with chest pain due to congestion. The varying symptoms may require different medications, while some of them may even require a combination of medications. Some of the most effective homeopathic medications for this requirement would be –
- Bryonia alba
- Antimonium tart
- Hephar sulph
- Phosphorus and others
- Chest pain from heart-related and other disorders – This usually requires more extensive and prolonged treatment because homeopathy tries to not only treat the symptoms but also the underlying cause. Some of the medications and the specific types of chest pain they can treat are mentioned below.
- Spigelia – This medication is useful if you have severe cardiac palpitations with shooting pain in and around the chest area.
- Aurum Metallicum – This medication is very effective in treating myocardial weakness which may result in a weak heartbeat.
- Digitalis – This medication is usually prescribed when your heart feels tight and you suffer from palpitations and suffocation. Cardiac muscle failure is usually diagnosed in such cases and sleeping on your left side will aggravate the problems.
- Cactus Grandiflorus – If you have chest pain from angina and both your heart muscle and arteries are weak due to atherosclerosis, Cactus Grandiflorus can help reduce the symptoms.
- Platina – If you feel spasmodic contractions in and around the heart muscle, Platina can provide relief.
- Naja – This is another excellent medication for treating angina related symptoms. This is usually prescribed when the chest pain radiates towards the side of the neck and throat and may even go up to your left shoulder and arm.
- Aconitum – If you feel a sharp pain on your chest and all other symptoms point towards an impending attack and you have numbness in your left arm, aconitum should be administered as it can stop the heart attack from happening and until you can reach emergency medical services.