By Dr. Jolly Arora, Sexology
Smoking has never been the habit that one was endorsed to cultivate, least indulge in. Over the years, the maladies associated with smoking have been increasing at an alarming rate and its ability to harm one’s sexual life has not been discounted.
According to doctors, the habit induces certain deficiencies in both the sexes, especially in men. Some of them are-
1. Causes Erectile Dysfunction: It is a known fact that smoking constricts the arteries, therefore indulging in this habit rather excessively causes less blood to flow to the penis. This condition is known as erectile dysfunction wherein men suffer from problems of erection.
2. Diminishes Libido: If research is to be believed, smoking significantly decreases sexual urges in men. Those who smoke for a long period of time take longer time than usual for arousal and also have lesser desire than the ones who do not smoke.
3. Damages their Sexual Performance: According to doctors, smoking on a regular basis can hamper your sexual performance. Notwithstanding the fact that the habit leads to a stark decline in the urge of an individual, it also significantly damages their performance in bed.
4. Extracts Less Satisfaction: Those who smoke are said to derive lesser satisfaction from sex than those who are not tied to this habit.
5. Lower Sperm Counts: Among a host of other disadvantages, smoking may also lead to infertility. It is now a well established fact that smoking significantly reduces sperm count in men thereby posing a threat of infertility.