By Dr. Vikas Deshmukh, Sexology
A modern way of life comes with its fair share of pleasures and woes. Both males and females can suffer from a lack of orgasm.
Orgasmic dysfunction is a condition that occurs when someone has difficulty reaching orgasm, even when they’re sexually aroused and there is sufficient sexual stimulation. When this condition occurs in women, it is known as female orgasmic dysfunction. Men also experience orgasmic dysfunction, but this is much less common.
Orgasms are intense feelings of release during sexual stimulation. They can vary in intensity, duration, and frequency. Orgasms can occur with little sexual stimulation, but sometimes much more stimulation is needed.
Many women have difficulty reaching orgasm with a partner, even after ample sexual stimulation. In fact, orgasmic dysfunction affects approximately one in three women.
Orgasmic dysfunction is also known as anorgasmia or female orgasmic disorder.
A keen look at the causes can help a person understand his or her problem better and seek treatment from an experienced doctor subsequently.
Causes of Lack of Orgasm in Males-
- A person suffering from hypogonadism: A disorder where a man’s testicles fail to produce required amount of testosterone; can face problems in the achievement of an orgasm.
- Any critical health condition can also result in a lack of orgasm: Cancer, cirrhosis of the liver, heart problems and kidney failure are some of the diseases that can affect a man’s sex life.
- Surgeries: Surgeries that affect the pelvic region, such as surgeries related to the bladder, prostate or colon can also impair your chances of attaining orgasm in bed.
- Disease or Disorder Affects Orgasm: Any disease or disorder that affects your nervous system can lead to lack of orgasm. Diabetes, multiple sclerosis or strokes are some of the diseases that can surface in the form of lack of orgasm.
- Relationship Issues: Relationship issues, such as unresolved conflicts or lack of trust, often lead to orgasm dysfunction.
- Stress of Daily Life: Life stresses, such as financial worries, job loss, work pressure, heavy responsibilities, or divorce result into lack of orgasm.
Causes of Lack of Orgasm in Females:-
Your addiction could be a deterrent. If you are a smoker or a drinker, you could feel a lack of orgasm in due course of time.
Surgeries can come in the way of easy orgasm. Hormonal imbalances, hysterectomy, or other gynecological operations can deprive you of an orgasm and therefore make your sex life completely boring.
Age wears away your bodily capabilities. As a woman ages, her body undergoes severe transformation; there are drastic hormonal shifts, her nervous system functions differently and so does her other body systems. Menopause for instance may result in lack of orgasm.
The kind of medicines a woman takes also determines her orgasm levels. Being exposed to the effects of antidepressants and antihistamines can lead to a serious lack of orgasm.
Living with Orgasmic Dysfunction-
The inability to orgasm can be frustrating and may have an impact on your relationship. However, you may be able to reach climax with proper treatment. It is important to know that you are not alone. Many people deal with orgasmic dysfunction at some point in their lives. Resolving these underlying causes can help you reach orgasm in the future.
Role of Sex Counsellor in Treating Sexual Problems-
Sex counselling, or couples counselling is effective for helping couples to explore their physical communication and their understanding of what sex means to them. Sex may have become mechanical and a way to maintain a safe distance for one person. In such cases, the partner may mourn the lack of intimacy and trust which would allow them to feel safe and enjoy sex. Withdrawal of sex can happen when a person has no alternative way to express their anger and disappointment, so the forbidden feelings are acted out in the bedroom. These are just some of the issues that may be addressed in counselling to help couples become more aware of each other’s needs and desires and thus be able to reach a solution that works best for both of them.