By Dr. Satinder Singh(sexologist), Sexology
A woman’s desire for physical intimacy is based on a complex interaction of many components affecting intimacy, including physical well-being, emotional well-being, experiences, beliefs, lifestyle and current relationship. If you are experiencing a problem in any of these areas, it can affect your sexual desire.
A wide range of illnesses, physical changes and medications can cause a low sex drive, including:
- Sexual problems. If you experience pain during sex or an inability to orgasm, it can hamper your desire for sex.
- Medical diseases. Numerous nonsexual diseases can also affect desire for sex, including arthritis, cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, coronary artery disease and neurological diseases.
- Lifestyle habits. Excessive drinking of alcohol can spoil your sex drive; the same is true of street drugs. And smoking decreases blood flow, which may dampen arousal.
- Surgery. Any surgery, especially one related to your breasts or your genital tract, can affect your body image, sexual function and desire for sex.
- Fatigue. Exhaustion from caring for young children or aging parents can contribute to low sex drive. Fatigue from illness or surgery also can play a role in a low sex drive.
Changes in your hormone levels may alter your desire for sex. This can occur during Menopause and Pregnancy & Breastfeeding.
Your problems don’t have to be physical or biological to be real. There are many psychological causes of low sex drive, such as anxiety or depression, Stress (financial stress or work stress), or low self-esteem
For many women, emotional closeness is an essential prelude to sexual intimacy. So, problems in your relationship can be a major factor in low sex drive.
First step is to relax yourself and find back your sexual appetite. Relaxation techniques like meditation and yoga help to reduce the stress and increase the positive energy. This also boosts your level of self esteem. Natural and herbal supplements help in increasing the blood flow and increase in boosting sex harmonies.