By Dr. Sheeja M , Homeopathy
Polycystic Ovary syndromes is a condition wherein tiny cysts develop on the ovaries which become enlarged in the process. This results in elevated male hormones in women. It can be a result of genetic and environmental factors. One has to tick two out of three boxes for this condition to be present: no ovulation, ovarian cysts and presence of male hormones. The cysts are detected by ultrasound.
Symptoms of PCOS Include:
- Irregular to no periods
- Excess facial hair
- Pain in the pelvic area
- Difficulty in getting pregnant
- Velvety skin
- Mood swings
- Heart diseases
- Insulin resistance
PCOS are endocrine disorders which aren’t very uncommon in women who are above the age of eighteen. It is also a major cause of infertility.
Certain homeopathic medicines can be useful in treating Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome as they are made from plant sources and do not have too many side effects. These medicines help in restoring hormonal balance and neutralise the negative effects of PCOS.
Listed below are a few homeopathic medicines which can help in treating PCOS:
- Sepia: Sepia is a popular homeopathic remedy which is used in treating Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. It can help in calming down sensations in the pelvic region and regulating the menstrual cycle. Sepia in some cases can also treat infertility caused due to PCOs.
- Pulsatilla: Pulsatilla is a natural homeopathic preparation which is very effective in treating symptoms of PCOs. The blood flow in women who have minimal flow during periods can be restored by taking pulsatilla. It also helps in getting rid of obstructions to the menstrual cycle.
- Thuja: Thuja is an effective homeopathic medicine which can help in curing a symptom of PCOS; which is facial hair. Menstrual irregularities can also be sorted by consuming Thuja.
- Conium: Conium is a very effective homeopathic medicine which can help in curing acne and menstrual irregularities in females. The pain in the ovaries caused during PCOS can be cured by consuming Conium which is an effective homeopathic medicine.
- Lachesis: In case of polycystic ovarian syndrome with scanty, tardy menses and black menstrual blood, accompanied by pain in the ovaries, predominantly on the left side, swelling in the left ovary and violent colic during menses, Lachesis is best known among Homeopathic medicines for PCOS to provide relief.
- Graphites: When there is constipation along with other symptoms, Graphites is one of the best Homeopathic medicines for PCOS. The patient is often of a stout build or is fat. She cannot tolerate cold and is always feeling chilly. The menses are too late and are pale and scanty. There is tearing pain in the stomach region. Hardness may be felt in the ovarian region.