By Dr. Mayur Surana, Ayurveda
Whether you’re fair or dark skinned, everyone wants their skin to be clear and wrinkle free. However, as you age, wrinkles are naturally formed and unless it is looked after, skin loses its natural freshness. An unhealthy lifestyle, stress, pollution etc are some other factors that speed up the process of skin aging. There is hope though and the process of aging can be slowed down with a few natural therapies. Let’s take a look at a few of them:
- Olive oil: Olive oil is rich in vitamins A and E and acts as a powerful anti oxidant. This helps to remove toxins, smooth wrinkles and fine lines and tighten sagging skin. It also hydrates the skin and keeps it elastic. When applied on the skin, olive oil is readily absorbed and hence nourishes the skin with vitamins, minerals and natural fatty acids.
- Aloe vera: Aloe vera has a number of beneficial uses for the skin. It can be used to treat pimples, acne and to reduce oiliness in the skin. It also makes the skin more elastic thus reducing wrinkles and fine lines and shrinks skin pores. Aloe vera is rich in mucopolysaccharides that helps in the production of collagen and also the skin retain its moisture.
- Fenugreek: Fenugreek seeds are rich in vitamin B3 and niacin that promote the growth of new cells and healing of age spots, hyperpigmentation, wrinkles and fine lines.
- Egg white: Egg white is rich in proteins, potassium, magnesium and riboflavin. These minerals aid in tissue repair and neutralize the damage caused by free radicals. They also hydrate the skin and keep it moisturized. Applying egg white over the face stretches the skin and shrinks the open pores to give it a smoother and more youthful appearance. It also helps to lighten wrinkles and fine lines.
- Honey: Honey nourishes dry skin and helps hydrate it. It also helps to prevent the loss of moisture from the skin. When applied on the skin, it also helps to exfoliate the skin by removing dead cells and promoting the growth of new skin cells. Honey can also be used to lighten age spots, hyper pigmentation and sunspots, thus giving skin a flawless appeal. It is also rich in vitamin B and potassium that makes the skin more elastic and supple.
- Lemon juice: Lemon juice has bleaching properties that makes it most suitable to treat sun spots, excessive tanning and sunburn. It also helps to exfoliate the skin and improve skin elasticity.
By thorough consultation with Ayurvedic doctor, necessary changes in your life style and your Prakruti (constitution) specific home remedies or medicines can be suggested for your overall skin health. So don’t follow blindly, kindly consult, know what is right for your skin type and then proceed. A unique combination of medicines, life style, diet and home remedies will take your care….