By Dr. Anand Dhoot, Homeopathy
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is a diagnosis whose symptoms include chronic abdominal pain, discomfort, bloating, and alteration of bowel habits. IBS patients usually experience frequent change in bowel movement patterns, frequent occurrences of gas, diarrhoea or constipation, accompanied by tenesmus (a constant urge to evacuate the bowels), chronic fatigue and even sexual tension.
Factors which causes IBS include:
- Muscle contractions in the intestine. Contractions that are stronger and last longer than normal can cause gas, bloating and diarrhea. Weak intestinal contractions can slow food passage and lead to hard, dry stools.
- Nervous system. Abnormalities in the nerves in your digestive system may cause you to experience greater than normal discomfort when your abdomen stretches from gas or stool.
- Inflammation in the intestines. Some people with IBS have an increased number of immune-system cells in their intestines. This immune-system response is also associated with pain and diarrhea.
- Severe infection. IBS can develop after a severe bout of diarrhea (gastroenteritis) caused by bacteria or a virus. IBS might also be associated with a surplus of bacteria in the intestines (bacterial overgrowth).
When to see a doctor
See your doctor if you have a persistent change in bowel habits or other signs or symptoms of IBS such as:
- Weight loss
- Rectal bleeding
- Diarrhea at night
- Iron deficiency anemia
- Unexplained vomiting
- Difficulty swallowing
- Persistent pain that isn’t relieved by passing gas or a bowel movement
Here are some of the most common homeopathic medicines that help you overcome IBS.
1. Nux Vomica
Nux Vomica is the most common digestive remedy used by many homoeopaths. It helps with nausea, sour burping, bloating a few hours after eating, indigestion, heartburn and other after effects of eating rich, spicy food or over-eating.
Intestinal gas, upset stomach, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and irritable colon are all symptoms easily treated by this medicine. But you must avoid this medicine if you are pregnant or breast-feeding. Don’t give this medicine to infants as well.
3. Argentinum Nitricum
Also known as Silver Nitrate, this is known to have antiseptic properties. It can relieve bloating, rumbling flatulence, nausea, and greenish diarrhoea.
If you are experiencing bloating, gas, stomach pain, heartburn, chronic bowel problems, heightened appetite to the extent of getting up to eat at night, Lycopodium is what you must take to relieve yourself from these IBS symptoms.
5. Natrum Carbonicum
Upset stomach and heartburn, deficiency in food absorption, gas, immense diarrhoea and an empty, gnawing sensation in the stomach are symptoms treated by this medicine.
If you get a sudden urge to release bowel very early in the morning, repetition of diarrhoea throughout the day, constipation along with disgusting, odorous gas, oozing in the region of the rectum accompanied by a burning sensation, Sulphur in regulated dosage can work for you.
These medicines may have side-effects; so consult the doctor to know how to regulate the amount of the medicine you should ideally consume depending on your age and nature of IBS.