By Dr. Varun Sarin, Dermatology
Anti-aging Skin care is one of the largest sectors within the medical realm. The desire to look younger and better has increased manifold as anti-aging cosmetic care is now affordable and within the reach of ordinary people. Some of the procedures that are being used effectively in anti-aging skin treatment are mentioned below-
- Botulinum Toxin Type A (Botox Injections): A renowned anti-aging treatment all over the world, Botox involves injecting the botulinum toxin into parts of the face to fight creases or wrinkles which occur due to aging. Botox paralyzes certain muscles and nerve groups, resulting in them becoming relaxed and thus preventing creases and wrinkles from forming. It is very effective for frown lines on the forehead and crow’s feet close to the corners of the eye.
- Facelift Surgery: Although an invasive surgical procedure that may take time to heal, it is known to produce best results in the long run. Skin and fat that form jowls or sacks are removed from your face and neck. The new skin looks tighter, resulting in a much younger look once the bruising and the scarring heal properly.
- Chemical Peels: Peels or solutions that have formulated acids are applied on your skin on the areas that need to be treated. The resulting abrasion encourages new skin cells to grow in its place, thus removing freckles, age-related spots, and wrinkles among other skin problems.
- Microdermabrasion: Microdermabrasion is a technique that uses finely calibrated machines to remove the top layer of skin to expose a newer layer. This layer tends to be much tighter, resulting in a much younger look. This is a fairly common technique used and availed by many people the world over.
- Soft Skin Tissue Filler Injections: Filler injections work by filling up the wrinkles and creases within your skin with ingredients such as collagen, gel and fats which can be directly injected into the wrinkles. These swell up the skin where the injections are applied, resulting in a smoother look. These are periodic injections however and thus need to be applied after every few months or so.
- Radiofrequency And Light Treatments Such As Laser Resurfacing: In laser resurfacing or any other light related treatment, a laser beam removes the outer layer of the skin and also heats up the layer of skin right below it. The outer layer of skin regrows resulting in new cells which have a tighter, thus younger look. The sub-dermal layer of the skin also produces more collagen due to the heating effect that adds to the tightness and youthful look.