By Dr. Mamta Goel, Gynaecology
Vaginismus is when the vagina suddenly tightens up or squeezes when you try to insert something into it and you have no control over it. It can be very painful and distressing but it can be treated. Here is everything you need to know about Vaginismus including causes, symptoms and treatment.
1. Painful sex - There is burning or stinging pain during sex and you struggle with vaginal penetration during sex.
2. Inserting a tampon - You will feel the pain while inserting a tampon. Therefore, it is very important that you do not ignore this pain.
3. Internal examination - An internal examination through vaginal opening conducted by your doctor will also be painful.
There are several possible causes of vaginismus. These include anxiety and fear about having intercourse, which could sometimes be due to a bad first sexual experience or an unpleasant medical examination. However, infections are yet another cause of Vaginismus.
The examination is usually very quick to rule out infections and it is unlikely that an internal examination would be performed. Treatment usually focuses on
1. Managing your feelings around penetration by psychosexual therapy and relaxation techniques
2. Exercises to gradually get you used to penetration by pelvic floor exercises and vaginal trainers
Treatment is usually effective and you may see progress in a matter of weeks. In case of a query, please do consult.