By Dr. Kanu Verma, Dermatology
Acne is a very common skin condition in which oil and dead skin cells get stuck in your hair follicles. In fact, acne is so common that 70 to 87% of teenagers have acne at the moment. The most common places where acne occurs are on the chest, back, face and neck. It is a very annoying condition as the bumps and pimples caused by acne take a long time to heal and also they never really subside. Here are the best ways to cure acne prone skin
1. Retinoids: Retinoids come in the form of gels, creams as well as lotions. Retinoids work because they prevent the hair follicles from getting plugged.
2. Antibiotics: Antibiotics can also help cure acne because they kill excess bacteria and reduce the redness in your skin.
3. Chemical Peel: A chemical peel is a procedure in which a chemical is applied to your skin so as to remove the acne.
4. Cleanse Gently Twice-a-Day: Deeply cleansing oily skin sounds like a great strategy but harsh cleansers can strip skin of its protective barrier, leaving it vulnerable to bacteria. And soap has a higher pH than your skin, which can over-dry skin and cause oil production to go into overdrive—which you definitely don’t need. Try a balancing face wash to rebalance oiliness while smoothing and soothing skin, or a gel cleanser which is full of anti-inflammatory ingredients to soothe inflamed skin.
5. Eat Healthy: One of the causes of acne could easily be greasy and fatty foods. Hence, avoid caloric food and include leafy vegetables in your diet. One such veggie is spinach. Rich in chlorophyll which is a blood purifier, it can help cleanse your body. Green tea is also known to help deal with oily skin. The best choice among all of these acne-fighting foods is actually water! It helps to flush out toxins, cleanse your system and keep your skin pimple-free.
6. Microneedling Radiofrequency Laser Treatment: Radiofrequency micro-needling is the next step beyond CO2 Fractional lasers. It is a new technology to improve the post acne scars and pores to 70-80%. This system delivers controlled radiofrequency energy to break down acne scars that lie deep under your skin, whist sparing the top layers of the skin.