By Dr. Rajwinder Kaur, Ayurveda
The ideal body mass index (BMI) is 18.5-25 Kg/m2. But, if the BMI is 30 or more than that, then the person is classified as “obese”. In fact, if a person’s BMI is over 25 kg/m2, then he or she is considered to be overweight. Being overweight or obese can give rise to serious health hazards.
Heart diseases, stroke, diabetes, osteoarthritis and breathing troubles are some of the most common problems associated with obesity and being overweight.
Therefore, one must be cautious about maintaining a perfect body weight. In case you are suffering from obesity or excess body weight, you may consider following the below mentioned ayurvedic tips for weight loss:
- Sip on green tea– Intake of green tea, in moderate quantity (2-3 cups everyday) on a daily basis, can help you to lose unwanted body weight. Green tea contains epigallocatechin, a component which helps to oxidize fat and hence aids in weight loss.
- Add ginger to your food- Ginger is known to have a certain photochemical which helps in burning excess fatty acids and also keeps cholesterol level in check. Thus, it can help you to lose those extra kilos.
- The magic of warm water- Drink a large glass of warm water with organic lemon in it upon waking to stimulate the bowels. This boosts the entire digestive system and gives you a fresh start to your day.
- Have a glass of juice made of mint leaves and basil leaves- Mint and basil leaves can reduce your total calorie intake and can thus, help you to achieve your weight loss goals.
- Exercise and practice yoga regularly- Exercises such as walking, swimming and practicing yoga and meditation can help you to get rid of your excess weight without affecting your health adversely.
These tips can have profound effects on your life. However, it’s vitally important to meet yourself where you are, in order to maintain sanity and not create more stress. Decide if this plan is something you want to take on full throttle, or if just a piece or two could be incorporated into your routine at this time. It’s okay to begin with small steps. Slowly but surely, the wisdom of Ayurveda can help lead you toward stress-free, healthy weight loss.