By Dr. Jayaprakash Bahuleyan, Ayurveda
The heart is a vital organ within the body and without it functioning properly; the other organs will not be able to function at all. However, the modern lifestyle and diet puts a lot of stress on this organ and it is imperative that you take steps to keep it healthy. Ayurveda offers some easy to follow steps to keep your heart healthy…
1. Include moderate exercises in your routine – According to the ayurvedic principle of “balaardh”, if you exercise to at least half of your capacity, where it isn’t strenuous and the exertion is minimal, it can do wonder for the health of your heart. Walking at a moderate pace for 30 minutes a day can easily achieve this. Also incorporate some specific yoga poses into your routine.
2. Be mindful of what and how much you eat – Ayurveda stipulates that three regular meals with controlled portion ensure that your digestive system remains in the best condition. One portion is equivalent to two cupped palms full of food. Also, to energize your digestive system you can use a mixture of ginger, salt and lime. Lassi is also very good for digestion.
3. Make sure to clean arterial plaque or Ama from your system – Ama or arterial plaque builds up within the arteries and it is necessary to clean them from time to time through some of the following steps:
- Drink fair amounts of warm water throughout the day
- Eat lighter diets high in fiber
- Avoid smoking, drinking alcohol
- Eat more natural foods such as fruits, vegetables and whole grains
4. Get proper sleep – Sleep deprivation can cause serious issues within the body such as high blood pressure and depression. You should always get balanced sleep and the old adage of early to bed and early to rise still holds true.
5. Think positive and mediate to get stress away – Stress is one of the biggest contributors to heart disease and it is important to inculcate meditative practices to be able to cope with it and stay positive even through tough times.