By Dr. Ajaya Kashyap, Cosmetic/Plastic Surgery
Breast Reduction or Reduction Mammoplasty is a surgical procedure which is used to reduce the weight and the size of the breast and improve the shape of the breasts. The excess sagging skin and soft tissue is removed and the breast is reshaped according to the requirements of the patient.
The surgery is done for various cosmetic and medical reasons and has a number of benefits, such as:
- Heavy breasts often cause back pain, shoulder pain and neck pain. If you experience these problems frequently, then it is likely that they can be eliminated by Breast Reduction surgery.
- With advancing age, women experience a natural increase in weight and the shoulders begin to roll forwards. This puts pressure on all the bones and joints in the thoracic region and causes pain. The heavier your breasts, the more pain you experience. The pull of the shoulder weight can also cause stretching of the nerves near the collarbone. This causes numbing sensations in the arms. These symptoms can be treated effectively by Breast Reduction surgery.
- It can be used to treat sagging or misshapen breasts.
- The breast can be lifted and made firm.
- Skin rashes and irritation caused under the folded skin of the breast are improved once the breasts are lifted.
- Increased size of the nipples and areolas can be corrected by Breast Reduction Surgery.
- Depressions or indentations in the skin caused by very tight underwear can cut off blood circulation and lead to skin disorders. A reduction in the breast size can help you to fit better in your clothes. This also makes breathing and physical exercises much more comfortable and easy.
- Large breasts have also been associated with problems while exercising, sitting at a desk, sitting without a backrest and picking children up. These daily difficulties can be addressed by Reduction Mammoplasty.