By Dr. Harish, Dermatology
Deposition of dead skins cells at the location of hair follicles as well as secretion of oil cause a common skin condition known as acne. The occurrence of acne can happen anywhere on your body including your face, back, chest and neck.
Treatment of acne depends on the seriousness of the condition and there is a possibility of a scar being left behind because of it.
Apart from antibiotics, some other methods that can be used to treat scars include:
- Laser Treatments: Being one of the building blocks of your skin, collagen is a protein that helps fill in acne scars. The laser treatment forms new collagen which evens out the surface of the skin, thus eliminating the scar. This process of laser skin resurfacing also takes just one to three sessions.
- Fade Creams and Cortisone: Cortisone and fade creams are particularly recommended for treating acne scars and skin damage when the skin becomes swollen or red. Cortisone reduces inflammation and is also absorbed by skin cells. Cortisone, as well as fade creams, can be bought without any prescription as they are over-the-counter medications.
- Filler Injections: Filler injections can help fill deep indentations left behind by acne scars. However, since it’s possible that they are reabsorbed into the skin, they need to be redone every 4 to 6 months.
- Chemical Peels: A safe, non-toxic chemical solution is applied to your skin that gently polishes or resurfaces the skin, removing the damaged top layers. A skin peel stimulates new cell growth and collagen production to effectively reveal younger looking skin. A chemical peel reduces signs of sun damage, dull and uneven skin tone, scars, pigmentation, acne and enlarged pores. You will have improved skin texture, brighter and clearer skin.
- Microneedling: Microneedling (also known as collagen induction therapy) is a minimally invasive treatment to rejuvenate the skin. A device with fine needles creates tiny punctures in the top layer of the skin, which triggers the body to create new collagen and elastin. Results can include improved texture and firmness, as well as a reduction in scars, pore size, and stretch marks.