By Dr. Geetanjali Karad, Homeopathy
Back pain or lumbago is characterized as mild to serious pain or uneasiness in the lower back region. It is possible that the pain might be acute (sudden and extreme) or chronic if it has endured over three months. Back pain frequently happens in more youthful individuals whose work includes physical exertion and is also common in individuals of retirement age.
Symptoms of Back Pain Include:
- Stiff back
- Sciatica, which is the pain occurring in hips, legs and thighs. This occurs due to a compression in a slip or intervertebral disc in the back, which leads to a pinched nerve
- Numbness in legs
Typical treatment of back pain involves usage of muscle relaxants, pain killers and physiotherapy. Surgery is suggested in severe cases.
Homeopathic Remedies of Back Pain Include:
- Calcarea fluorica [Calc.f]: This medication is widely used for curing back pain and particularly spinal irritation that simulates the back pain. The pain worsens on moving and Calcarea fluorica provides relief from pain caused due to the continuous motion.
- Calcarea Phosphorica: This medication is used for cases of muscle weakness and lower back pain, particularly occurring in overweight people and people who are tired easily due to exertion. Chronic conditions might cause soreness and inflammation.
- Arnica Montana: This medication provides relief from stiffness and lower back aches caused due to overexertion or minor trauma.
- Bryonia: This is applicable in cases where the pain worsens on even the slightest of movements. Coughing, changing positions, walking or turning might cause sharp and excruciating pain.
- Nux Vomica: It is applicable for back pains caused due to muscle cramps. The discomfort is worsened by cold. The pain is aggravated when the person feels the urge to urinate.
- Rhus Toxicodendron: It is useful for pain occurring in shoulders, neck and lower back. It is worst at the initial movement and gets better with motion.