By Dr. Sumit Dhawan, Homeopathy
Psoriasis is a chronic problem of the skin that results from an abnormal growth of cells in your skin leading to red or white colored patches on the skin. Usually, the process of growth and shedding of the skin cells takes around 4 weeks, but in psoriasis, new skin cells are produced only within a few days’ time. This condition tends to develop on the knees, scalp, elbows and lower back.
Causes of Psoriasis:
The exact cause remains unknown. There may be a combination of factors, including genetic predisposition and environmental factors. It is common for psoriasis to be found in members of the same family. The immune system is thought to play a major role.
- Infections, such as strep throat or thrush
- Injury to the skin, such as a cut or scrape, bug bite, or a severe sunburn
- Cold weather
- Heavy alcohol consumption
- Certain medications – including lithium, which is prescribed for bipolar disorder; high blood pressure medications such as beta blockers; antimalarial drugs; and iodides.
Psoriasis signs and symptoms can vary from person to person but may include one or more of the following:
- Red patches of skin covered with silvery scales
- Small scaling spots (commonly seen in children)
- Dry, cracked skin that may lead to Itching, burning or soreness
- Thickened, pitted or ridged nails
- Swollen and stiff joints
Psoriasis patches can range from a few spots of dandruff-like scaling to major eruptions that cover large areas. Most types of psoriasis go through cycles, flaring for a few weeks or months, then subsiding for a time or even going into complete remission.
Homeopathic Treatment For Psoriasis: When it comes to the treatment of psoriasis, it is a general perception that it is incurable. This perception is not exactly right. It is based on the view and experience of the allopathic system in the treatment of psoriasis. The mainstay of the allopathic system of medicine in psoriasis happens to be steroids. This is in direct contrast with the homeopathic system. Homeopathy is far more effective in the treatment of psoriasis and these homeopathic medicines are completely natural and do not contain any chemical compounds at all. The homeopathic remedies do not intend to suppress this inflammation. In fact, they intend to correct the cause that has resulted in this indiscriminate cell division and also the inflammation. Once these two things are set right, the symptoms disappear on their own. The skin lesions clear up and the skin starts looking normal as if nothing had ever happened.
Homeopathic medicines are natural and free from any side effect whatsoever; they also address the root cause of diseases rather than just treating the symptoms. Some Homeopathic remedies that are commonly used to treat Menstrual Irregularities are given below:
- Kali Bromatum: This remedy is used in the treatment of psoriasis when the symptoms include skin spots that have turned cold and presence of large and painful pustules on the affected areas.
- Arsenic album: Arsenic album is used to treat symptoms of this disorder which worsen when exposed to cold and wet weather conditions but gradually get better in hot and sultry weather.
- Rhus Toxicodendron: This remedy is useful in treating symptoms of itching that worsen during the night but tend to improve with the application of heat.
- Sulphur: Sulphur is used when the symptoms include intense itching at the concerned spot, persistent thirst and constant irritability.
- Apis Mellifica: This remedy is used to treat rashes on the skin that are hot, dry and sensitive to touch. These symptoms tend to worsen with the application of heat. It is also effective in rooting out symptoms of depression, if any.
These are just a few of the commonly used Homeopathic remedies and are mentioned only to create awareness about the effectiveness of Homeopathic medicines in Psoriasis. It is not advisable to resort to self-medication for any disease.