By, Dr. Ashwini Indulkar, Homeopathy
Insomnia is a sleep disorder in which a person finds it difficult to fall asleep or to stay asleep. Insomnia also includes poor sleep quality, restless sleep, waking up several times during sleep, and feeling un-refreshed or tired after waking up. Homeopathy provides a very safe, effective and non-habit forming treatment of both types of insomnia - acute and chronic. Since the Homeopathic medicines are sourced from natural substances, there are no side-effects.
While Insomnia lasting less than a month is considered acute, if the condition continues for more than a month, it is referred to as chronic Insomnia. There are various causes of Insomnia. The prominent ones are stress, grief, depression, emotional disturbance, intake of stimulants like coffee and alcohol, and a huge number of medical reasons (like heart diseases, breathing disorders, thyroid problems, and rheumatoid arthritis). Insomnia is also one of the major concerns in elderly people.
Homeopathic Medicines for Insomnia:
Homeopathic medicines are of great help in the treatment of Insomnia. The natural Homeopathic medicines have zero side-effects and work to strike out the root cause of Insomnia. The Homeopathic remedies are very beneficial in both inducing sleep as well as improving the quality of sleep. What’s more, the Homeopathic medicines for Insomnia do not carry any risk of dependency and can easily be stopped when complete recovery has taken place. The various homeopathic remedies for insomnia are:
- Kali Phos: This remedy can be very effective if the insomnia one is suffering from is a result of increased stress levels and anxiety over a period of time. It is also very effective in treating insomnia that results from overexertion of the mind.
- Coffea Cruda: Coffea cruda is extremely effective in treating this disorder if it is accompanied by symptoms such as one’s mind being cluttered with all kinds of thoughts during the day as a result of insomnia. It is an effective remedy for symptoms such as bearing repetitive thoughts excessive activity of the brain. It is also useful if you have a disturbed sleep because of persistent ill thoughts and nightmares.
- Natrum Mur: If you suffer from chronic depression which impairs your ability to sleep, then Natrum Mur is used as a remedy. It is used to treat symptoms such as an inability to sleep because of harboring past grief or animosity.
- Nux Vomica: Nux Vomica is used in treating insomnia wherein the primary symptom is poor quality of sleep. It is also very effective in treating sleeplessness that results from excessive consumption of stimulants such as coffee and alcohol.
- Arsenic Album: Arsenic album is used in the treatment of insomnia caused by anxiety and restlessness. The symptoms may include continuous tossing and turning in your bed because of the clutter of thoughts inside your head.
These are just a few of the commonly used Homeopathic remedies and are mentioned only to create awareness about the effectiveness of Homeopathic medicines in Insomnia. It is not advisable to resort to self-medication for any disease.