By Dr. Manoj Goyal, Ayurveda,
There are more than 12 toxic ingredients in shampoos and conditioners, some of those are also linked to cancer and various other diseases. Some of these toxic substances include sodium laureth sulfate, cocamidopropyl betaine, fragrance, triclosan and polysorbates. These substances cause endocrine disruption (the health of the endocrine system influences disorders such as diabetes, growth disorders, thyroid diseases and other hormone related anomalies), skin rashes, liver damage, irritation to the eyes and skin, clogging of the lymphatic system and cancer as well, in cases. Don’t you think it’s wise to get rid of these, right away and right now!?
Even shampoos bearing the label ‘natural’ on them aren’t exactly safer bets. Herbal shampoos are in trend right now. The sole reason being, it’s therapeutic and bestowed with Ayurvedic advantages which progress the scalp’s health, resulting in the reduction of hair loss. These herbal shampoos are devoid of chemicals and minerals. The major ingredients include Reetha, Amla, Shikakai, Bhangra, Hibiscus and Brahmi. Other ingredients consist of Chai (tea leaves), Fenugreek, lime juice, mustard oil, almonds, cloves and cinnamon.
- These ingredients prevent hair loss and moisturize and cleanse the scalp, thus preventing pre-mature greying.
- Thicker hair growth is another benefit of such shampoos.
- Fenugreek seeds stimulate hair growth and prevent breakage.
- Shikakai is the primary element in all herbal products. The leaves of ‘Shikakai’ have constituents of ‘Alpha Hydroxyl Acids’, which help in exfoliation and moistening of the hair.
- Reetha has been used as a treatment agent, since ancient times. The medicinal properties of ‘Reetha’ help in reducing the ill effects of all the chemical products applied on the scalp.
- Amla, also known as Indian gooseberry, is considered to be the superfoods for hair. It is considered to be the most nourishing and nutritious herb that your hair ever needed. Regular usage of ‘Amla’ based shampoos might lessen the chances of premature greying of scalp hair. Using ‘Amla’ based shampoos and other herbal topical serums on your hair lessen the risks of hair fall as well.
- Shampoos containing tea leaves extracts help reduce dandruff, scalp irritation and itchiness. The scalp’s pH levels are also maintained with the regular application of such shampoos; because of the improved oil secretion in your hair that these ingredients bring about.